register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: What do you do when you don't agree?
Add your own advice without referring to the methods other people suggests. 5 31.25%
Add your own advice and say why you don't agree with others advice. 4 25.00%
Don't advise but give information on the theories or methods you like to use. 2 12.50%
Don't say anything but demonstate your preferred methods with your own dogs successes. 2 12.50%
Walk away and do not go back to the people / website again. 1 6.25%
Other, please state. 4 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-08-2011, 02:59 PM

When you don't agree what do you do?

First sorry if a thread like this has already come up (?) and if it has please direct me to it. I've been umming and arrhing as to whether to start a thread but I'm just curious....

When a group of people dog owners or trainers etc, are giving training or behaviour advice and telling others to use methods or theories which you do not agree with or in your opinion think are out dated etc, etc. Do you leave people to their own opinions or say something? Do you.....
  1. Add your own advice without referring to the methods other people suggests.
  2. Add your own advice and say why you don't agree with others advice.
  3. Don't advise but give information on the theories or methods you like to use.
  4. Don't say anything but demonstate your preferred methods with your own dogs successes.
  5. Walk away and do not go back to the people / website again.
  6. Other, please state.

ps. I hope this all make sense! And sorry if there are any spelling / grammer errors!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by nddogs View Post
...When a group of dog owners are giving training or behaviour advice
I know this is going to sound incredibly picky, but a pet hate of mine is dog owners trying to give this kind of advice. Being blunt, what do they know? Probably only what worked for their dog in their situation. Of course, you do get some who are pretty good and well informed, but hard to tell one from the other, for most who are listening .

Anyway, that's me off my High Horse

and telling others to use methods or theories which you do not agree with or in your opinion think are out dated etc, etc. Do you leave people to their own opinions or say something? Do you.....
  1. Add your own advice without referring to the methods other people suggests.
  2. Add your own advice and say why you don't agree with others advice.
  3. Don't advise but give information on the theories or methods you like to use.
  4. Don't say anything but demonstate your preferred methods with your own dogs successes.
  5. Walk away and do not go back to the people / website again.
  6. Other, please state.

ps. I hope this all make sense! And sorry if there are any spelling / grammer errors!
It's very difficult as I think it has to depend on each situation - I see you've also included forums in this question. I read it quickly first time and thought you meant an "in the park" type of situation!

I think I've actually done ALL of those at times! (not all at once ). For the dog's sake, I try not to get overly "I know best" because it definitely alienates peeps who can then get very defensive. Once someone is defensive, you've lost them. However if it's an out and out welfare issue, I may be more outspoken.

Generally, honey catches more than vinegar, and especially if one is sincere and kind, I believe that most people will accept that other people have other views. Not always of course....

Wys
x
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2011, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I know this is going to sound incredibly picky, but a pet hate of mine is dog owners trying to give this kind of advice. Being blunt, what do they know? Probably only what worked for their dog in their situation. Of course, you do get some who are pretty good and well informed, but hard to tell one from the other, for most who are listening .

I hope that most dog trainers and behaviourists are dog owners (although many are not nor have ever been) so I am afraid that opinion does not wash with me.

There are many dog owners who are extremely skilled, knowledgeable and experienced; just as there are trainers and behaviourists who are not.

Anyway, that's me off my High Horse

x
I do all of the above, it just depends.......... hence why I chose "other"
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2011, 03:24 PM
It's really dependent to be honest. Sometimes I'll blatantly disagree and say why, sometimes I'll just give different advice without making any comment on what else has been said, sometimes I'll just walk away.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2011, 03:26 PM
If I give out any advice - I always say "What we've learn't in class...", "What I've found works...", "You could do this or that"..

I do know some of my stuff.. I never say I know best - and as on here - others have their opinions and methods that do work but there are several others - it's what works for you and your dog.

I met a lady today who was at the first training class I went to with Louie (without watching first *idiot*) and she asked me why I left and I told her - the water sprays, check chains and shouting don't work for me and Louie is a sensitive dog so shouting commands at him doesn't work, checking the chain is only going to make him afraid of me and I'd rather have a dry dog to take home.. but thats me - it seems to have worked for her dog but I didn't like the methods being used.. and I told her about my new class and how well we'd been doing and we shared success stories - but there is never a right or wrong answer to training (there are methods that are just plain wrong - but thats my opinion) I think I've covered my point in this
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2011, 03:37 PM
I think it depends on the dog, circumstances, people....

I would probably use the power of suggestion if I thought that other methods were making a situation worse.....but who knows, it all depends!

Recently someone spoke to me about problems they were having with their dog, rescue didn't help, 'trainer' didn't help, vet advice wasn't much better...they then 'compared dogs' and commented on how their dog couldn't be trusted and they have seen mine paying attention off lead and they cant do this.....

I recommended a muzzle, a good look around the APBC website and from there finding a GOOD behaviourist/trainer who had a clue what they were talking about. Told them they would be better spending the money they are saving for gadgets and neutering and spending it on a trainer that they then found through APBC/APDT websites.

Perhaps many dog owners don't have a clue but tbf many 'trainers' certainly DO NOT know what they are talking about....

That dog certainly does have a host of issues there and needs a lot of work, not something you could go into when bumping into someone in the street!! For them I really do feel that they need a good trainer who will set them out a plan and support them and the dog using positive methods (before someone/someone's dog gets seriously hurt)

if someone asked how to teach sit, I'd probably ask how they tried already then suggest how they should go about it. As your average dog owner without a clue, I think I'm in a good position to do this! LOL
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2011, 03:39 PM
I think people on the net are at liberty to look at what others say and make their own mind up.
So why not say what you think? The worst that can happen is that someone disagrees with you.
I think there is usually more then one approach to any problem so why not have a range of opinions? Except if someone is advising cruelty of course. Then I think it`s important to counter it.
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2011, 04:06 PM
Done all of the above at some point!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2011, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg
I know this is going to sound incredibly picky, but a pet hate of mine is dog owners trying to give this kind of advice. Being blunt, what do they know? Probably only what worked for their dog in their situation. Of course, you do get some who are pretty good and well informed, but hard to tell one from the other, for most who are listening
SB
I hope that most dog trainers and behaviourists are dog owners (although many are not nor have ever been) so I am afraid that opinion does not wash with me.
I didn't interpret the question as being about professionals though, more about dog owners generally. The OP does say "dog owners giving advice" not "trainers and behaviourists giving advice"...

There are many dog owners who are extremely skilled, knowledgeable and experienced; just as there are trainers and behaviourists who are not.
I thought I covered that in the bit I boldened

The most difficult part is for peeps to be able to tell who knows their stuff, who is giving outdated advice, who is making things up and so on.

Wys
x
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2011, 04:50 PM
But surely dog owners and behaviourists/trainers are not necessarily mutually exclusive?

You do get some trainers and behaviourists about which you can ALSO say Of course, you do get some who are pretty good and well informed, as of course not all may necessarily be any better than dog owners who do NOT call themselves trainers or behaviourists.

The most difficult part is for peeps to be able to tell who knows their stuff, who is giving outdated advice, who is making things up and so on

The above holds true for dog owners/trainers/behaviourists surely?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >