Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2011, 09:07 PM

Jinty has a high prey drive....

She wants almost anything that moves! Although it seems to be more 'play' than 'kill' at the moment..... Is there anything I can do to help control her 'urges' !?

Thanks!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2011, 09:10 PM
http://www.dog-secrets.co.uk/how-do-...y-dog-chasing/

Might also be worth working on her self-control, I'd suggest looking at the pamelamarxsen channel on Youtube as she does several videos on stuff like that
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-08-2011, 09:01 AM
I got my terrier when she was 9 months she has a very high prey drive will chase anything Bikes cars skateboards runners dogs cats and birds flying past. I really thought she would have to spend her life on the lead.
But then I gave her a ball and she loves her ball so much I can let her off the lead anywhere as long as she has the ball.
I could put a big plate of meat on the floor but she wouldn't let go of the ball to eat it.
The chase of the ball is what she needs so keep her happy.

I even use her ball if I am walking down the street and can see something she will react to ( she screams and jumps around when excited) I take the ball out of my pocket and get her to focus on that.

Is your dog intrested in toys?
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2011, 06:45 PM
I hope that Lotsforus has helped you with those tips, but I have to say that our JRT (came to us in his teens) is so prey driven that nothing on earth will distract him once he has spotted/smelt whatever it is.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2011, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
I hope that Lotsforus has helped you with those tips, but I have to say that our JRT (came to us in his teens) is so prey driven that nothing on earth will distract him once he has spotted/smelt whatever it is.
This is Rupert too. He came to me at a year old having already learned the joys of the hunt. His is not chase drive, it's the kill he's interested in and a toy is simply no substitute.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2011, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by TeflonsShadow View Post
She wants almost anything that moves! Although it seems to be more 'play' than 'kill' at the moment..... Is there anything I can do to help control her 'urges' !?

Thanks!
Ah, would this be the same dog that sat next to the rabbit and had none!

Your dog is a terrier, terriers were genetically designed to hunt, chase, catch and kill, by biting and shaking.

Therefore it was forseeable this was going to happen, so what work have you done to pre empt this and transfer this behaviour to a ball and/or tuggy?

I would strongly suggest that you teach your dog impulse control by using play, I think Jinty is what about 5 or so months now?

I think you may find Velcro dog is mophing into Bogoff dog about now!

If you know the genetic background of your dog, you are better placed to determine its likely predisposition and how best to tackle it!

Look here:

http://www.learningaboutdogs.com/aca...hippitdvd.html

ps it might be best NOT to have her off leash at any other shows you go to in the future........