Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
promarc
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-08-2011, 09:27 AM

Raw meat advice

Right in my local town market a butcher sell's minced up meat leftover's at 50p per 2kg bag, now my brother inlaw says its the stuff they dont use brain heart etc etc. All i want to know is would this be ok to mix with my dog's kibble rather than wet dog food. if it's ok to use then i can fill the small freezer up with about 10 bags full and would be alot cheaper than tinned dog food.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 09:39 AM
Some people will say you shouldn't mix raw meat with kibble due to the way they're digested, different rates, etc. I personally am not convinced - many species eat different types of food at the same time, we eat meat with grains, vegetables, etc. and have no problem. I personally don't mix them but that's because I feed 100% raw.
However, you do risk unbalancing the diet if you supplement too much. Think of kibble as a pre-made, balanced food, like those liquid diet foods for people. Each meal contains the right balance of vitamins and minerals, protein, etc. You could get away with snacking on an apple, or a packet of crisps, but if you started eating a cheeseburger with every shake/soup, you're going to get more fat, salt, etc. than you need. A small amount of raw meat won't have a great effect but feeding it regularly may impact on the dog.
I personally don't like these generic pet minces too, you don't know what's in them, it's usually the unwanted stuff as said, so you get fatty cuts of meat, offal (too much offal can upset tummies), and the contents will vary each time which means one batch may suit your dog but the next may contain something that upsets your dog's stomach. My raw meat supplier does an "economy mince" but it's basically just pork offal and scraps, my dogs get it in small amounts but I count it as part of their offal allowance more than a meaty meal.
If you wanted a cheaper wet food, maybe look at Wainwrights trays, they're quite reasonable and similar to Naturediet (I've used ND and it suited my dogs well). Alternatively, buying some value mince from the supermarket is going to give you a bit more reassurance about what you're actually feeding your dog, as they'll have to specify the contents on the bag.
promarc
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-08-2011, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Some people will say you shouldn't mix raw meat with kibble due to the way they're digested, different rates, etc. I personally am not convinced - many species eat different types of food at the same time, we eat meat with grains, vegetables, etc. and have no problem. I personally don't mix them but that's because I feed 100% raw.
However, you do risk unbalancing the diet if you supplement too much. Think of kibble as a pre-made, balanced food, like those liquid diet foods for people. Each meal contains the right balance of vitamins and minerals, protein, etc. You could get away with snacking on an apple, or a packet of crisps, but if you started eating a cheeseburger with every shake/soup, you're going to get more fat, salt, etc. than you need. A small amount of raw meat won't have a great effect but feeding it regularly may impact on the dog.
I personally don't like these generic pet minces too, you don't know what's in them, it's usually the unwanted stuff as said, so you get fatty cuts of meat, offal (too much offal can upset tummies), and the contents will vary each time which means one batch may suit your dog but the next may contain something that upsets your dog's stomach. My raw meat supplier does an "economy mince" but it's basically just pork offal and scraps, my dogs get it in small amounts but I count it as part of their offal allowance more than a meaty meal.
If you wanted a cheaper wet food, maybe look at Wainwrights trays, they're quite reasonable and similar to Naturediet (I've used ND and it suited my dogs well). Alternatively, buying some value mince from the supermarket is going to give you a bit more reassurance about what you're actually feeding your dog, as they'll have to specify the contents on the bag.
Thanx for your reply krlyr everything you said makes pure sense so will be going to have a try with the wainwright's wet trays, were just changing him from burgess kibble to skinners soon when this bag has gone, dont ask we got it reccomended (burgess) by the vet and it's a cheap nasty food but we learn.