Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
El-Bar
New Member!
Female 

19-08-2011, 08:30 PM

Which leads/collars would be best?

i run a small dog motel so get quite a large variation of dogs in, many of which are really terrible on the lead

I like to use my own leads etc on them as not sure how strong the ones the owners have for them are, each dog gets walked four times a day so if i get something that pulls its a nightmare (to the point of putting on my website 'if you have difficulty leading your dog i may have problems too, so please think twice about booking it in!).

I obviously only have these dogs for a short period of time and i am not paid or have time or the knowledge to train them, so just wondering which collar or lead would be best to use on these type of dogs. I have been using the slip leads that are like whats used on gun dogs as they are also quick to put on and off, but after reading the thread on choke chains i am thinking i perhaps shouldn't be using this type of lead on them?

I have found some that pull really bad are fine on an extending lead and others totally change with a haltie, i suppose theres no fast fix without the proper training methods but which collar/lead would you put on them in my situation?

Thanks
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2011, 08:34 PM
The one they are used to.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2011, 08:36 PM
I would put them on the one that worked with them. I'd have a headcollar like the Gencon All in One, which is a one size fits all headcollar, a highly adjustable semi-check, a good flexi lead (the biggest and strongest you can find, as I personally don't trust them much after my Westie snapped one!), a front fastening harness, and a good training lead.

There's not a lot you can do other than stop each time they pull.
El-Bar
New Member!
Female 

19-08-2011, 09:02 PM
I think most of the worse ones that come in aren't even used to being on a lead! the owners usually say 'oh we hardly ever have him on a lead' probably because they cant hold it. some even think i should just let their dog off like they do! lol yeah i am really going to risk someones dog taking off

I do keep the dog in the lead they are use to if they are well behaved and their lead etc looks secure enough but not prepared to get dragged about by something in its own collar and lead if its really bad puller as i will end up too shattered to walk any others lol.

The Gencon sounds good jesterjen with it being one size fits all, will have a look at those, also the harnesses, suppose it is just a matter of trial and error until find which one may work on each one, and if non work get dragged about lol and remember to say fully booked next time they ring
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2011, 09:05 PM
You need to remember that some dogs may not tolerate a headcollar and object to them strongly.................
El-Bar
New Member!
Female 

19-08-2011, 09:13 PM
Thanks for that will be very careful

Do obviously say to the owners first if their dog is strong if they mind if i try a different lead etc

I am still concerned about the slip leads though do you think i shouldn't use them, or perhaps just use them if i see an improvement, and if they are no different just use a flat collar and lead?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2011, 09:20 PM
I would never use a slip lead on a dog that I did not know................to easy to get out of.
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-08-2011, 09:24 PM
Can't you ask to meet the dogs before you have them? I know I wouldn't leave Toby with someone who'd never met him (and preferably walked him with me). You need to discuss the options with the owner before they leave the dog. Personally I wouldn't want Toby walked on a slip-lead or halti. If you can't walk the dog safely it would be better to find out before you agree to take it!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2011, 09:26 PM
One of the (many) reasons I do not send my dogs to kennels that walk the dogs; I do not want my dogs walked by people who will not be able to handle them properly.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2011, 09:30 PM
The GenCon is a good one to have as the size adjusts according to the size of the dog.
However, do be aware that if you have a dog that really pulls, they may be very uncomfortable with the GenCon - it tightens a lot when a dog pulls or lunges. I have stopped using it for that very reason.

I think personally I would invest in a Gentle Leader in medium and large. That would set you back in total about £20 and you are then covered for all but small dogs and with the smaller dogs you probably wouldn't need a headcollar anyway.

Re slip lead - these can be effective but personally, I prefer a good headcollar, much safer bet.

The best headcollar, in my experience, is the Dogmatic - but I think it would cost a lot as you would need several sizes and they are more expensive than a Gentle Leader.

I also agree with those who suggested that you meet the dogs first - I'm surprised that any dog owner would leave their dogs with someone they had not met first, no offence to you whatsoever intended.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >