Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2011, 12:20 AM

Dog cooling aids

There are many things out there to help cool dogs down, from beds to coats.

I might be racing Jin in flyball comps next year and beyond.

Are there any cooling aids you have owned, used or know someone that uses, that you would rate highly?

Many thanks!

Ps, this will also be very helpful for my friend that has a dog that fits when too warm.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2011, 08:02 AM
Most people concentrate on what goes on or around the dog, I focus on what goes IN.

Few people use electrolytes to support their dogs performance and recovery. I do.

TBH flyball or agility competitions are not exactly over strenous, each run is usually less than 30 seconds with plenty of rests so in most cases a dog will not overheat.

Unlike dogs which are working harder and longer eg sheepdogs, gundogs etc.

http://synergo-technology.com/isotonic-for-dogs.html

Another aid to performance and maintaining balance is

http://www.nupafeed.co.uk/dogs.htm?ac=GKDR5-W

I use both of the above when training/working my dogs in certain conditions.

If I had a dog that fitted when it was too warm I would probably not train or compete in the hot weather if at all..................after all competition is all about US not the dogs

I do not put coats of any description on my dogs as after doing a lot of research I do not think they help and may hinder a dog's temperature regulatory system. I have certainly seen no evidence to support their use bar the claims from manufacturers.

I do use cool mats in the car for the dogs to rest on, and fans as well as ice in the water.
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2011, 08:45 AM
My friends dog isn't a flyball dog She just worries about him alot on hot days and avoids travelling with him.....would be nice for her to be able to take him in the car or for a walk in the summer with more stratagies to keep him cool.

Thanks for the info SB (as ever!). I know flyball isn't to strenuous but the dogs do get hot quick if running in the sun and tire quickly.
Parkers
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-08-2011, 09:04 AM
Some people do not realized that dog cool down from bottom up.

So therefore, cooling coats doesn't work as well as they could do because they go on top of the dog.

What I use is a damp towel and get my dogs to lie down on it or even better get a spray bottle and spray along the stomach and the feet.

I would go for products such as bed, mat etc rather than coats.
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2011, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by Parkers View Post
Some people do not realized that dog cool down from bottom up.

So therefore, cooling coats doesn't work as well as they could do because they go on top of the dog.

What I use is a damp towel and get my dogs to lie down on it or even better get a spray bottle and spray along the stomach and the feet.

I would go for products such as bed, mat etc rather than coats.
I was thinking the same, unless there are some magic coats!!

I generally wet Jins tummy and feet if shes warm, and put an icepack in her bed.

Those coolmat III look OK..... Any thoughts anyone?
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-08-2011, 06:57 AM
I know that my dogs suffer in the heat ( we have had over 35 for quite a few weeks now ) and the only thing we can do here is put the fans on and when they are feeling too hot at least they put their feet in the pool ( wish they would go in there completely but they don't like it ).. never heard about the cooling mat before.. will have a look for that, thank you for the advice..
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

20-08-2011, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post

http://synergo-technology.com/isotonic-for-dogs.html

Another aid to performance and maintaining balance is

http://www.nupafeed.co.uk/dogs.htm?ac=GKDR5-W

I use both of the above when training/working my dogs in certain conditions.
do you use these in the week leading up to a trial?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2011, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
do you use these in the week leading up to a trial?
Yes and especially in the heat.

The way electrolytes work (and how dogs excrete them) it is better to "load" a day or so before working as well as giving during the trial, so for example when I take water out with me on the tracking field, it has electrolytes in.

My GSD will drink a huge amount which, could upset the electrolyte balance and his ability to work.

My Weim I only give during very hot weather, she is not a big drinker.

Also the magnesium in the Nupafeed helps maintain my GSD equilibrium (sort of)
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

21-08-2011, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Yes and especially in the heat.

The way electrolytes work (and how dogs excrete them) it is better to "load" a day or so before working as well as giving during the trial, so for example when I take water out with me on the tracking field, it has electrolytes in.

My GSD will drink a huge amount which, could upset the electrolyte balance and his ability to work.

My Weim I only give during very hot weather, she is not a big drinker.

Also the magnesium in the Nupafeed helps maintain my GSD equilibrium (sort of)
thanks, they'll be going on the shopping list for next pay day, she's not a big drinker so its maybe more of the approach you use with the weim

y_not
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-08-2011, 07:13 PM
My Collie suffers from the heat and the only solution I have found was to stop walking and start swimming.

Whenever the weather is a little too warm, we settle for the local river (clean water running out of the Derbyshire hillsides) which he seems to appreciate.

Before I realised what the issue was he was walking around the park in a daze because of the overheating issue - I was lucky it didn't kill him!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >