Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-08-2011, 02:11 PM

Friend for Storm

We possibly may be getting a second dog very soon!!!

A couple of weeks ago while walking Storm, we met a man who was walking three dogs and one of them was one of our favourite breeds - an English Bull Terrier. We found out she was a bitch of about a year and a half, called Dottie and that her owner (who wasn't the man walking her) had been trying to re-home her for a while, as she wasn't getting the attention and exercise she needed, due to her working most days. It turned out this man was walking Dottie for her owner and he asked if we wanted to leave our number for him to pass on to her. So we left our number and then received a phone call from Dottie's owner a couple of evenings later and we have agreed with her that if/when we take Dottie, it will just be on a trial basis first, to see if we all get on. She also told us that Dottie is booked in to be spayed on the 1st of September, so we may wait until that has been done and she has recovered until we take her on.

We are just so excited as we have always wanted two dogs and we just hope that her and Storm get on! When we met her that first time a couple of weeks ago, she seemed to adore Storm and kept following him everywhere, though Storm just seemed indifferent about her.

Dotties is quite overweight, as apparently she doesn't like walking and she has been fed lots of titbits due to her owner feeling guilty about leaving her alone a lot. So, that's something we will have to work on.

We have done quite a bit of research into the breed, so know EBTs can be very stubborn and quite to hard to train and when we met Dottie, the man walking her was calling and calling and she was just ignoring him and following Storm.

Guess we've got our work cut out!!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Gosh, are you not worried that a second dog may follow Storms example with other dogs?
Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-08-2011, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Gosh, are you not worried that a second dog may follow Storms example with other dogs?
No, Storm is behaving a lot better now. Over the past couple of weeks, we've noticed he is hardly reacting aggressively to other dogs and when I walked him today, I purposed took him through town and areas where I knew dogs would be and he greeted them all really well with no aggression! I think it's because I have relaxed and do not pull him away as I used to and I have started really praising him when he greets a dog nicely.

It's still early days, but we won't be getting Dottie for a few weeks yet, so I will continue to work with him when we're out walking.