Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2011, 08:03 PM

Working Trials; Advice please?

OK, so we are not actually training towards competing in WT's but just thought this worth asking.

If you cannot get into a club, is it worth training from books/videos?

Also, at obedience competitions etc you can can use a training area for not for competition dogs can you do anything like this for working trials?

I have contacted the only club I would be able to get to before as I think it would be a good hobby for us, even if we werent able to compete but no respose and after looking around on other forums it seems a bit impossible to get in.....

So this is the only other option I could think of tbh, but then I see they now have an introductory stake which I thought we could go for (over/after time of course) but my dog may not be used to the 'environment' if not at a club? (nor me!)

So basically are there any good books? or can I just get the guidelines and rules from the KC site...

Then chance my luck (or possibly embarass myself ) entering the Introductory stakes?

Or does that sound like a disaster waiting to happen?
and what is the best way to find out about when competitions are on to hopefully get a chance to go and watch?

Almost wondering if I just shouldnt bother tbh, but I like the sound of WT's and tbh think my dog and eventually my second dog would enjoy this more than showing IMHO.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2011, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
OK, so we are not actually training towards competing in WT's but just thought this worth asking.

Yes, in fact most clubs are just a bunch of friends helping each other informally; this can be helpful or not.

I think the best way is to go to a 1:1 trainer either weekly or monthly.

Also, at obedience competitions etc you can can use a training area for not for competition dogs can you do anything like this for working trials?

No

I have contacted the only club I would be able to get to before as I think it would be a good hobby for us, even if we werent able to compete but no respose and after looking around on other forums it seems a bit impossible to get in.....

pm me if you like.

So this is the only other option I could think of tbh, but then I see they now have an introductory stake which I thought we could go for (over/after time of course) but my dog may not be used to the 'environment' if not at a club? (nor me!)

So basically are there any good books? or can I just get the guidelines and rules from the KC site...

Then chance my luck (or possibly embarass myself ) entering the Introductory stakes?

Or does that sound like a disaster waiting to happen?
and what is the best way to find out about when competitions are on to hopefully get a chance to go and watch?

Almost wondering if I just shouldnt bother tbh, but I like the sound of WT's and tbh think my dog and eventually my second dog would enjoy this more than showing IMHO.
Oh you should try and the judges picked for the IS are chosen to be especially friendly to newcomers.

There are various books, but NONE will be truly comprehensive as some things are not covered by books.

http://www.workingtrialsworld.co.uk/

has some info

A beginners guide to Working Trials by Wendy Beasley is a start.

Other books to look for are by

Terry Hadley
Peter Lewis
John Cree
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2011, 09:00 PM
Thanks Smokeybear, I have sent you a PM and I will look into those Authors and the book tomorrow

Thanks for the link too
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

10-08-2011, 06:28 AM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post

Hi,

There's a training day at Vogrie Country Park (just South of Dalkeith / Gorebridge in Midlothian) which might be about an hours drive or so from you (I see you're in Fife).

Its 10am to 1pm and would be a great place to start - lots of experienced triallists attend. The cost is simply a share of the rental of the field, normally £3. You're welcome to come along, just remember to bring your lunch! The purpose of the Vogrie events is to encourage new Triallist and generally to help each other out.

If you like, you could also come along and watch some trials that are local to you as well. There's Lauder on 27th August, Dundee on 17th September and then there's another Vogrie training day on 2nd October.

Hope that helps!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2011, 06:35 AM
Brill, glad you saw this, no excuse now Dobermann!!!!!
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

10-08-2011, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post

...and Yvonne Walker is running a beginner's WT Class this
Sunday - can contact her on your behalf if you'd like Dobe?

(ps Yvonne is a big Doberman fan.....)
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2011, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
Hi,

There's a training day at Vogrie Country Park (just South of Dalkeith / Gorebridge in Midlothian) which might be about an hours drive or so from you (I see you're in Fife).

Its 10am to 1pm and would be a great place to start - lots of experienced triallists attend. The cost is simply a share of the rental of the field, normally £3. You're welcome to come along, just remember to bring your lunch! The purpose of the Vogrie events is to encourage new Triallist and generally to help each other out.
Hi, thanks for letting me know about this! When is the training day?
If you like, you could also come along and watch some trials that are local to you as well. There's Lauder on 27th August, Dundee on 17th September and then there's another Vogrie training day on 2nd October.

Hope that helps!
Hi, I don't have the car just now but I will hopefully at least manage the October one. Once I have the car it will be MUCH easier as I can could actually make all of those within 1-2 hour drive with the car.
Actually you dont know what time it runs in Dundee on the 17th do you? and where in Dundee? Actually it will be on that site maybe...
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
yip!!
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post

...and Yvonne Walker is running a beginner's WT Class this
Sunday
- can contact her on your behalf if you'd like Dobe?

(ps Yvonne is a big Doberman fan.....)
I will PM you
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2011, 05:57 PM
ps, sorry for all the 'actually' must have been getting carried away there
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2011, 08:25 PM
Hope it all works out for you