Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zuluandnaomi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-08-2011, 03:07 PM

Sudden dislike of breakfast!

Has anyone else had this? Wondering if its maybe weather related although its not been that hot the past few days.

We have quite a set routine in the morning which really doesnt change.

Hubby gets up and lets Zulu on to the bed for cuddles with me - we sleep on until 7.
7am I get up and he's let outside to do business.
Comes back in, goes straight into his crate while I go make myself a coffee
He's let out into the room again and its "Dinner time" - which normally is the most exciting 2 words you can say.

The past 2-3 days Zulu just isnt interested in breakfast. He seems excited about the food, and he always sits and waits for it which he is still doing, I put it in the bowl and his command is "good boy" and he normally gets stuck in straight away.

Recently he just sort of takes this forlorn glance at his bowl and just sits next to it! Our routine hasnt changed in the slightest, still same food. If i put it in his kong, he'll eat it, or if I put a bit of water over it he will too. Dinner time - absolutely no problem, gets stuck in straight away.

Just seems really odd? He actually looks depressed about breakfast lol.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Hi what time do you feed his dinner ? just thinking maybe he isn't ready for breakfast until a bit later ? maybe try him a bit later than usual with breakfast and then give him his dinner a bit later too. This may spark his appetite a bit. What do you feed him for his breakfast ? his normal food ?
Zuluandnaomi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-08-2011, 03:15 PM
He gets dinner about 6-7pm - you can tell when he is ready because he suddenly gets excited anticipating dinner time being said!

He's on Arden Grange - which he has been for over a year.

Our routine has been the same for a good year also, and like I said a week ago he was absolutely normal tucking in without a fuss, just literally the past few days he just doesnt seem to want it!

Unfortunately I cant give him his breakfast any later than 7.30 really rather than 7am as I have to be out of the house. Dinner again is a bit difficult as he gets exercised in the late afternoon/early evening and I dont want to feed him too close to that, its quite a planned routine we have!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 03:17 PM
Perhaps he is just not hungry?

If you want to maintain two meals a day why not cut his evening meal in half which should make him a bit peckish by breakfast?
Zuluandnaomi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-08-2011, 03:22 PM
Yeah thats an option - I might look into doing that. It does seem to be a case that he just doesnt seem to be hungry! Its times like this you just wish they could flipping speak!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by Zuluandnaomi View Post
Yeah thats an option - I might look into doing that. It does seem to be a case that he just doesnt seem to be hungry! Its times like this you just wish they could flipping speak!
Blimey, no!

Can you imagine?

Worse than kids!
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 03:26 PM
You could try giving something on top of the kibble, sardines or something smelly to tempt him ?
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Blimey, no!

Can you imagine?

Worse than kids!

LOL you are right there
Zuluandnaomi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-08-2011, 03:43 PM
thats a good point actually, wouldnt be able to shut him up.

In that case then I would just like him to answer this one question haha.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 03:56 PM
My old girl sometimes doesn't want her breakfast so I just pick it up and she is then really ready for her dinner later.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >