Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hannaho
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-08-2011, 08:38 PM

Keeping chickens

does anyone keep chickens??

iam thinking of getting some chickens ive got a big garden they can roam around in which is completley separate from where my dogs are.

has any one got any advice? whats the best breed to get and whats the best feed etc??

thanks
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2011, 07:57 AM
Light Sussex or some type of rhode island red hybrid like a Warrens, lowmans brown

Hybrids are best for laying as they tend to lay every day where as purebreed tend to go every other day

Flyte So Fancey is a great site to order supplies from they stock everything and really know what their talking about avoid Eglu's I lost a chicken three days after it went in to a fox lord only knows how it got it.

Flytes can also offer you further advice as they have some great fact sheets and their staff can answer your questions :>

Vet bills can be pretty expensive for birds,chickens are pretty easy to keep as long as you have somewhere secure for them to sleep at night.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2011, 09:47 AM
Hi Hannah

There quite a few chicken keepers on here.

This is one of Pippam's threads which you might find useful:

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=140934

Chickens are fab. Any questions, just ask!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2011, 10:20 AM
For a first time chicken keeper, I'd go with a hybrid - anything like a Speckledy, White Star, Amber Star etc.

You need to ensure your garden is fox-proof. Having a dog around is no guarantee that foxes will avoid the area.

Chickens need layers pellets. There are loads of different makes, but they pretty much all contain the same stuff. You can get organic and non-organic etc. If you've got an agri/horse store near you, they often sell chicken feed and accessories.

Chickens need to be wormed twice a year, so you should factor this into your costs. You can either buy the wormer to mix into feed, or buy feed ready-mixed with the wormer etc.

As Pippam says, vets can be quite expensive for hens, especially since you'll need an avian vet who has experience with chickens. 'Normal' small animal vets usually don't have a clue!

In terms of housing, I would also steer away from the Eglu, and go with a traditional wooden house - there are enough to suit all budgets and tastes!

Since you're in North Wales, check out Happy Chicks. They are just down the road from me and deliver birds and equipment all over the UK. They are a lovely family run business, based on a local farm. Sarah and Ros are very helpful and will be able to answer any questions.
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-08-2011, 10:27 AM
i have 7 hens they have their space in the garden away from the dogs they are great fun
Hannaho
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-08-2011, 12:02 PM
great thanks for all your replies , ive bought a wooden coop and run off ebay its second hand but they give me the mite spray to treat it, iam going to fence off my top garden so they can run around they in the day.

how are they when it snows? do they need to be brought inside or are they ok out?

thanks
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2011, 12:06 PM
Provided they are out to begin with chickens cope very well with snow id advise on having a run incase your out for long periods of time this is when fox's are likely to attack at least you will know your hens in a secure place :>

All of mine where fine in their runs last winter we had it quite deep but I dont know how free range hens cope I suppose if its to deep they will stay in anyway.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2011, 12:18 PM
Most chickens will be ok in the snow although some might not want to leave the run initially. As regards really cold temperatures like the past winter, again most chickens will be ok. However, if you have recent ex battery hens who are lacking in feathers and used to very high temperatures in the battery shed, they will be better off in. Chickens have much higher body temperatures than ours and it requires effort to maintain it.
Hannaho
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-08-2011, 05:35 PM
thanks for all your replies ive made a big run at the top of my garden and put the coop on concrete slabs so hopefully will keep the foxes out, ive dug the mesh in the ground too which took 3 days ! anyway im off to get them now 3 hybrids (to start)
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 08:05 AM
How are you getting on with your new girls?