View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2011, 08:14 AM

How many different breeds do you tend to meet on your usual walks/at your usual parks

At the moment we usually go to the nearest park, as it's a bit smaller than the other nearby ones, and I can more easily monitor which dogs are friendly/safe etc.

I was just thinking the other day that for a suburban park, there is actually a pretty nice range of breeds. Thus far Dex and I have met there:

1 Portugese Water Dog

4 GSDs

Hungarian Vislas

2 American Staffies

1 Boxer dog

1 Flat Coat Retriever

2 Beagles

1 Irish Water Spaniel

1 Standard Poodle

1 Rottie

3 Tibetan Terriers

Several Golden Retrievers

Several Labs

1 "goldendoodle"

4 Greyhounds

1 Lurcher

1 Weimaraner

1 Pug X Jack Russell

Forgot we also have had the pleasure of meeting:

1 HUGE Malamute (called Hugo, he is stunning)

1 Husky girl (also gorgeous) - she was kept on lead
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2011, 08:31 AM
I live in a rural setting so it's mainly labs, spaniels and terriers and their crosses - you do get the odd staffie or two which I tend to avoid - not because of the dog - normally the looks of the human on the other end and if they look at me funny I just reply "we've had some bad experiences" which we haven't thankfully but I would never like to have one..

We saw a couple of Crosses yesterday who looked very similar to Benjie and also - to my shock (happy shock) Naked Cresties - 2 of them, never seen them before.

We've met GSD's, Dallies, Mastiffs, Boxers and BC's before on our walks and theres a greyhound in there too.

But we mainly see dogs from the gundog group - including weims and viszlas (sp) and of course plenty of terriers.

This is a country park connected to the lakes though so you can see anything I guess.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2011, 08:34 AM
Very few actually. I take my dogs to the fields near the airport where there are many dog walkers but mostly they have GSDs, Malamutes, BCs, GRs, Labs and old fashioned mutts. I don't often see bull breeds but not far from me (about 2 miles away) a lot of teenagers can be seen just loitering on street corners with their bull breeds.

They do look quite intimidating but if you need to get past and politely say excusee me they will move out of the way for you. My Nan did this and the one lad even apologised for swearing in front of her.

Just goes to show - looks aren't everything!!
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2011, 08:41 AM
Ooo well it depends which park I go to -
One park I see loads of huskies - mainly on lead.
Usually - Labs, retrievers, staffs, cockers, GSDs, JRTs, doodles (any poodle cross!), Shi tzu/lhasas (cant tell them apart )

And then some different ones! Usually there is quite a variety. Will have a little mental count - am off on a walk now
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2011, 09:46 AM
I don't see many people regularly, because I walk at different places at different times.

The breeds I tend to see most are all the common ones. Mainly Golden Retrievers, Labradors and Lab crosses, Cocker and Springer Spaniels, Border Collies and Collie crosses, Jack Russells, Westies, Lurchers and Poodle crosses.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2011, 09:55 AM
On my walk earlier (only half an hour)
I saw: 1 springer, 1 pom cross border it looked like, 1 patterdale, 1 dobe, 1 GSD, 1 collie, 1 black lab, 1 lhasa/tzu?!
I think thats fairly typical for me if I walk in that park, although normally more staffs and cockers.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2011, 09:59 AM
Lhasa's are the bigger ones with the more pronounced tail - I think thats what my Aunt said (she used to show dogs I'm sure she had a lhasa at one time but she's had most dogs lol - they have been showing for 30+ years)
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-08-2011, 10:03 AM
Labs ,labs and more labs .
o and golden retrievers..
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2011, 10:46 AM
Walk this morning -

Axel the 8 month old Rottie