Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
neonlitdaydream
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-08-2011, 07:47 PM

Stena Ferry's Dog kennels

I'm traveling tomorrow to Dubin.The journey is 3 hours,our options with my pup was to be left with the other car's in the hold or to go the kennels?
Anyone have experience with Stena and their kennels?
which would you choose?
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2011, 08:19 PM
I traveled from Holyhead to Dublin years ago and the kennels were 6 crates stacked in two rows on the car deck. May have changed now but must admit I was a bit taken aback We were foot passengers so no choice
Snoringbear
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-08-2011, 08:43 PM
As above, I went across with Stena a couple of times in late 2009 and they just had crates on the car deck. Your car is a far better alternative. I've also been across with Irish Ferries and they had a separate kennel room off the car deck which is accessible throughout the journey and is also displayed on monitors on the decks.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2011, 09:00 PM
hello
didnt travel with stena but just recently had our dog on ferry for outer hebrides and he was perfectly happy and content in the car in both directions, so i would think that would be more comfortable for them than the sound of the kennels !!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2011, 09:01 PM
I thought the rules had changed after the dogs died on a ferry in a car ???? All dogs had to be kennelled
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2011, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by Snoringbear View Post
As above, I went across with Stena a couple of times in late 2009 and they just had crates on the car deck. Your car is a far better alternative. I've also been across with Irish Ferries and they had a separate kennel room off the car deck which is accessible throughout the journey and is also displayed on monitors on the decks.
Ah interesting! The bfs parents live in Ireland so travelling there with the dog in the future is something we'll be doing..... Irish Ferries sound preferable.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2011, 09:43 PM
Ruperts been in their kennels twice. The 2nd time (beginning of June) we had the choice to pay £15 and get a kennel in a little heated room just by the smoking area. We chose to do that so we could go and check on him during the journey. The only other option was the crates on the stairs, there was no option to leave them in the car. Not that I'd leave mine in the car anyway, especially as we got put on the top deck both times.

They're just large dog crates, nothing special, but then for a few hours does it really need to be? They're clean, they have those flat beds available for you to put in the crate if you want and if you choose to go with the on deck kennels you get given a key code, they don't allow non dog owners in there.
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-08-2011, 09:46 PM
I live on an island and any time we have taken the dogs we have left them in the car. The ferry workers will usually accompany you down to the car decks to check on the dogs if you ask them. We don't have Stena here but I'm fairly sure it'll all be very similar.
Millysmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-08-2011, 02:00 PM
We often travel by ferry over to France and Milly always stays in the car. Admittedly we don't have a choice over that as they don't offer kennels or dog areas and they don't allow them on board, but she's always been quite happy to stay there. We just make sure she gets a really good walk beforehand so that she can just relax and chill out on the journey, and leave her a bowl of water. She's never been upset or anxious when we've returned to the car, so I think given the choice of a crate or car I'd always opt for the car as she's then in familiar surroundings with all the usual smells that she likes so much.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2011, 09:23 PM
I prefer to keep my dogs in the back of the car where they are used to travelling, where they are safe etc.

I would not put the dogs in kennels on a ferry myself.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >