Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2011, 10:12 AM

Essentials for puppy rearing

now the time is getting closer for daph to be mated, im starting to get together everything i need, and thought i may aswell post here as im sure there are people on here who can help me

whelping box
vet bed
heat pad
puppy milk and feeding kit (in case the worst happens!)
scales (weigh the pups on)
bowls (for when they start to be weaned)
towels (clean the pups after they are born)

there was more in my head but its all gone blank while im trying to write them all down!!!
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2011, 12:08 PM
You need a whelping kit, ours consists of; (and I have probs missed abits!)

- "The book of the bitch" have it to hand through out the pregnancy and whelp of the girl - as its your first litter.
- Thermometer
- Stethoscope
- Torch:-Incase the bitch decides to start in the garden..or incase its under a table ect and you cant get her back in the box.
- Some Gloves:-for the messy bits, that some people dont like.
- Heat pad
- Some sort of clock to tell the time from
- A note book and pen!
- Lubricant:-KY jelly
- Scales:- To weigh the pups once born
- Disinfectant
- Antiseptic
- Surgical scissors (standing in a bowl of antiseptic some people like to have one blunt-ended pair and one sharp-ended pair)
- Some sort of bucket/bag to dispose of the any placenta and the like that the bitch doesnt eat.
- Dopram v:- This is a breathing stimulant
- Liquid life aid:- This helps to rehydrate pups that are suffering from dehyration
- Nutri drops:- Supplies weak pups such as one that cant suckle with energy..(there for convalescing pups or adults)
- Glucose to give the bitch during and after the whelp..This is made up by one table spoon of glucose to one pint of water)..
- Puppy milk and all the equipment.

Lots of news paper, vet bed and towls for when shes giving birth, and we always set up and warm, cosy box incase we need to remove a pup if shes struggling with the next, and a messy birth ect.

and one of the most importants things vets and mentors phone numbers...
cornishmals
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-08-2011, 05:02 PM
Having recently had a litter(and 19 years after my last) you need to always err on the side of caution and have the above list (not going to repeat as quite comprehensive).
However after over 2 years of trying and on the 4th and final attempt we were luck to have an easy whelp.
All that we actually needed from the kit (made mine up rather than buying an already made up kit) was
The whelping box
6 huge faux sheepskin fleeces
newspapers
puppy id collars
scissors for cutting the collars
anti bacterial hand wash
distenfectant
electric scales
made up chart for pedigree and weight did these on laptop to keep me awake when Kira was whelping
book of the biitch
breed guide as it had breed specific whelping advice
vets number on standby
note book and pen for recording birth details
plus during labour I gave mum drinks of goats milk,beaten egg and glucose to keeo her energy up.(Kira is a large breed)
Good luck for your mating
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2011, 06:36 PM
- "The book of the bitch" have it to hand through out the pregnancy and whelp of the girl - as its your first litter.
- Thermometer
- Stethoscope
- Torch:-Incase the bitch decides to start in the garden..or incase its under a table ect and you cant get her back in the box.
- Some Gloves:-for the messy bits, that some people dont like.
- Heat pad
- Some sort of clock to tell the time from
- A note book and pen!
- Lubricant:-KY jelly
- Scales:- To weigh the pups once born
- Disinfectant
- Antiseptic
- Surgical scissors (standing in a bowl of antiseptic some people like to have one blunt-ended pair and one sharp-ended pair)
- Some sort of bucket/bag to dispose of the any placenta and the like that the bitch doesnt eat.
- Dopram v:- This is a breathing stimulant
- Liquid life aid:- This helps to rehydrate pups that are suffering from dehyration
- Nutri drops:- Supplies weak pups such as one that cant suckle with energy..(there for convalescing pups or adults)
- Glucose to give the bitch during and after the whelp..This is made up by one table spoon of glucose to one pint of water)..
- Puppy milk and all the equipment.

Lots of news paper, vet bed and towls for when shes giving birth, and we always set up and warm, cosy box incase we need to remove a pup if shes struggling with the next, and a messy birth ect.

and one of the most importants things vets and mentors phone numbers...

thanks DD, i knew you would be a good person to ask everything in bold i already have. disinfectant and antiseptic we have at work and have already been told i can take as much as i need. other stuff shouldnt be hard to get hold of... eeek im excited
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2011, 06:40 PM
Having recently had a litter(and 19 years after my last) you need to always err on the side of caution and have the above list (not going to repeat as quite comprehensive).
However after over 2 years of trying and on the 4th and final attempt we were luck to have an easy whelp.
All that we actually needed from the kit (made mine up rather than buying an already made up kit) was
The whelping box
6 huge faux sheepskin fleeces
newspapers
puppy id collars
scissors for cutting the collars
anti bacterial hand wash
distenfectant
electric scales
made up chart for pedigree and weight did these on laptop to keep me awake when Kira was whelping
book of the biitch
breed guide as it had breed specific whelping advice
vets number on standby
note book and pen for recording birth details
plus during labour I gave mum drinks of goats milk,beaten egg and glucose to keeo her energy up.(Kira is a large breed)
Good luck for your mating

everything in bold ive got already. dont think i will need 6 large rugs maybe just 2 or 3 small

thank you, im so excited
cornishmals
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-08-2011, 11:10 AM
I started off with 2 large fleeces that I bought at a champ show that cover the complete whelping box floor(box is big enough for an Alaskan Malamute to fully stretch out and more besides.I then top this with a smaller fleece - about 1 metre square.The top fleece I change daily,the bottom large fleece every other day.However,I will be weaning shortly so have just bought another 2.I guess a girl can never have too many fleeces.
Another thing - a good book as this will take awhile
and plenty of cups of tea/coffee whatever floats your boat to keep you going - especially for the first couple of weeks when you are up 24/7 watching mum and puppies.
Good luck hope it all goes well.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2011, 11:15 AM
Whilst I've not bred a litter... my advice would be - time off work/sympathetic employer.... (if you work etc).

When Murphy's litter was born, they were a little early - their breeder needed more time off work than she had planned for. Lottie also needed an emergency c-section, so there were more follow-up vet visits etc than usual.

I don't know if many employers would like the phone call "Sorry, can't come in today, my bitch has gone into whelp a bit early...."
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-08-2011, 11:42 AM
This thread takes me back years to my first litter. I remember so well the gloves and finding it impossible to help my little girl when wearing them, so just ripped them off [and wished I could turn the smell off]!

Poor little girl screamed her head off - popped out one pup and ignored it while she tried to clean herself. Popped out the second one and ignored that one too.

But once she decided she was clean and I gave her the two little pups it was "oh look how clever I am" - smug little b i t c h that she was!
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2011, 05:33 PM
thanks for the replies guys.

time of work is already fine and sorted (presuming im still at the same job then)

eeek excited
cornishmals
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-08-2011, 06:02 PM
Oh yes time of work.I am currently on sick leave,due to an unfortunate accident requiring my 4th surgery,so have had 6 weeks off so far,so has worked out well.Just as well as for the first 2 1/2 weeks mum and pups were being watched 24/7.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >