Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2011, 09:59 AM

Raw feeding puppies?

for those of you who have had puppies from 8 weeks old, and have fed raw from the day you have brought them home, have you noticed any benefits from doing it?

my nana tries to argue with me that feeding a pup from raw at 8 weeks old, (or from the day they are weaned which is what i plan on doing when i have my litter) that the pups wont grow properly, wont get everything they need, and will have problems.

no asbo has been fed raw from 8 weeks old, and hes nearly one. i have never had a problem with him, hes never been ill, hes never turned a meal down, hes grown perfectly fine, there is nothing wrong with his conformation or movement. he has really nice shiny white teeth and he is in great condition.

ive never supplemented the diet with vitamins or minerals, hes just had whatever food ive given him.

so you guys, have any of you ever had problems when feeding a young pup raw?

or is nana just doing her usual "you know nothing about dogs because youre younger than me" routine?
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2011, 12:32 PM
Rufus recently sired a litter (6 weeks old now) the pups have only had raw meat, they have had scrambles eggs and porridge too not just meat!

Pip and Yandi from my 2nd litter were raised on raw and both are still fed raw, they are perfectly normal! At least you know what they are eating.
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-08-2011, 12:34 PM
I often wondered about that and now I know it's okay. Thank you
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2011, 12:39 PM
Do these two look malnourished

They have now been introduced to veggies too.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2011, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
for those of you who have had puppies from 8 weeks old, and have fed raw from the day you have brought them home, have you noticed any benefits from doing it?

my nana tries to argue with me that feeding a pup from raw at 8 weeks old, (or from the day they are weaned which is what i plan on doing when i have my litter) that the pups wont grow properly, wont get everything they need, and will have problems.

no asbo has been fed raw from 8 weeks old, and hes nearly one. i have never had a problem with him, hes never been ill, hes never turned a meal down, hes grown perfectly fine, there is nothing wrong with his conformation or movement. he has really nice shiny white teeth and he is in great condition.

ive never supplemented the diet with vitamins or minerals, hes just had whatever food ive given him.

so you guys, have any of you ever had problems when feeding a young pup raw?

or is nana just doing her usual "you know nothing about dogs because youre younger than me" routine?
Mine has been on raw since before I brought him home at 7 weeks, I think he does not suffer from lack of bone, muscle, tone, fitness etc..

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/germ...html?id=515728

But you may think differently............
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2011, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by moetmum View Post
Do these two look malnourished

They have now been introduced to veggies too.
oh scrummy puppies i have a friend at ringcraft who breeds basenjis.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2011, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Mine has been on raw since before I brought him home at 7 weeks, I think he does not suffer from lack of bone, muscle, tone, fitness etc..

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/germ...html?id=515728

But you may think differently............
no i think that dog looks absolutely perfect
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2011, 06:25 PM
THat was the correct answer........................ (he says)
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2011, 06:29 PM
glad to know that what im going to do to raise this litter will be perfectly fine. they will have everything that mine get, but will start them off with one thing at a time.

mine currently get:

mince beef
mince lamb
tripe
sardines
veg
egg
chicken wings
pork ribs
liver
kidney

they also get seaweed and garlic mixed in now and again, and they get natural yoghurt too.

i think i may do one meal of complete dog food because i know there are people that dont want to feed raw. im presuming that i need a different type of biscuit than just puppy?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2011, 06:32 PM
I think getting them used to a complete food is a good idea, if it was ME I would feed them Orijen Puppy.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >