Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Alf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-07-2011, 10:29 AM

Rural access

Just wondered what the consensus of opinion is on access to the countryside.
I'm not really talking from a land owner versus general public, but the rights of people as opposed to the rights and needs of wildlife.
My local council and the ranger team, seem to have got it virtually sorted perfectly. The vast majority of the local green space is open to the public, but certain areas have been fenced and are inaccessible, leaving it as havens for wildlife. A great many of these sites are linked by wildlife corridors that are protected.
Because they try and make the wildlife areas in those that would be less used, I don't think hardly anyone tries to enter these areas or is offended by the restrictions.
I personally believe that we do desperately need areas that are purely for wildlife. How large or how many must depend on the potential wildlife possible in any given location. Of course, we also need interlinking corridors to allow a species to spread into the surrounding areas
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2011, 10:22 AM
In Scotland we have the right to roam and I think if people are responsible about where they walk (ie not on moorland in the ground nesting season etc) then there shouldn't be too many problems and wildlife and recreation can live in harmony
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2011, 10:38 AM
I have a problem with public footpaths in England.

Last time i strayed off a public footpath recently (- the path on the map actually was running through a field the farmer had grown corn in, no path whatsoever so I had to divert! -) I got chased by a doberman offlead (guard dog at a livery yard) and shouted at by a farmer/owner! I showed him my map when he'd got the dog off my tail!

Our local dog walking public footpath I'm sure the farmer purposefully dumps the pig poo or whatever it is right across it! - and many I have come across fences with no gate or style the entire stretch.

I'm with Scotland's right to roam! You do find that some areas of forest etc are fenced off for deer etc and i think that's great, not like there isn't enough space this side of the fence to walk! Also other parts are inaccessible just purely down to the landscape, which again is great for the wildlife too. We tend to go up the same time each year, the beginning of the birds breeding season so avoid places known for birdlife. My dogs are always happily on long lines up there anyway because of the livestock. Never harmed any wildlife yet as far as I know, scared a few unexpected sheep though around corners, over hills, but they all got away safe! We avoid cow and sheep fields.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2011, 12:25 PM
We have right to roam in England too. I personally did not agree with it. Too many irresponsible people with off lead dogs crashing around where they shouldn't be, they do no end of damage to the wildlife.

Akita girl you should report both the farm and the livery yard. It is an offense for a farmer to block a footpath with anything, it is their responsibility to make sure that it is clearly marked, even in fields of crops, our local farmer makes sure there is a wide path running through the field, no excuse to trespass. The livery yard should not have a doberman running around threatening people. Contact your ROW officers, get them to sort it.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-08-2011, 12:36 PM
I too like the freedom to roam and I hope we never get to the stage of having "doggy parks" for our dogs as many places in America have. I think as long as you go carefully and quietly through the countryside, having due regard for what you might encounter, then I don't think wildlife suffers. Some farming practices can do much more to endanger wildlife than walkers passing through.
We are very fortunate in Derbyshire; we have some lovely varied countryside and woodlands to explore and roam through. We have been lucky enough to get otters returning to some areas (and these are well kept secret places) and you can see most species of wildlife thriving if you know where to look. At lambing time and other times of year you do have to observe the well published rules, but there are plenty of places without restrictions to go to and I am so happy to be living in Derbyshire now, rather than in London where I was born.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2011, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by moetmum View Post
We have right to roam in England too. I personally did not agree with it. Too many irresponsible people with off lead dogs crashing around where they shouldn't be, they do no end of damage to the wildlife.

Akita girl you should report both the farm and the livery yard. It is an offense for a farmer to block a footpath with anything, it is their responsibility to make sure that it is clearly marked, even in fields of crops, our local farmer makes sure there is a wide path running through the field, no excuse to trespass. The livery yard should not have a doberman running around threatening people. Contact your ROW officers, get them to sort it.
Since when has there been a right to roam in England? That is a new one on me
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2011, 01:20 PM
No, I don`t think there should be areas fenced off for wildlife with no access for people. Because people and wildlife need to share the planet.
I get really annoyed by local twitchers putting big hand-scrawled notices about dogs up while ignoring the fact that their parties of 30 blokes with cameras make a damn sight more disruption then me and my dog.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2011, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Since when has there been a right to roam in England? That is a new one on me
Its been a couple of years now, if you look on ordnance survey maps it shows you where you can and can't, some land is privately owned and could opt out. There was a leaflet out at one time explaining R to Roam. It only applies on foot, no mountain bikes or horse riders (unless there is a bridleway)
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2011, 03:20 PM

Its been a couple of years now, if you look on ordnance survey maps it shows you where you can and can't, some land is privately owned and could opt out. There was a leaflet out at one time explaining R to Roam. It only applies on foot, no mountain bikes or horse riders (unless there is a bridleway)
I didn't realise that about the right to roam either. AND that's a point, bridlepaths are crap in England around where I live, I wouldn't bother to have a horse around here, it would be a big fat waste of money!

I should have reported the doberman i agree, i did have a moan at the vet nurse who keeps her horse there and she did tell me he'd had loads of pressure about it and now keeps the dog chained up, but oh deary me, somehow that's not good either, I hate dogs used that way .

My neighbour told me not to report the farmers who block the footpaths because they very generously provide the village with a field for allotments I don't have an allotment, I have a bigger garden than her...
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2011, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
I didn't realise that about the right to roam either. AND that's a point, bridlepaths are crap in England around where I live, I wouldn't bother to have a horse around here, it would be a big fat waste of money!

Think it is semantics, and the Right to Roam is not "official" and can be misleading.
See here:

http://www.naturenet.net/law/crow.ht...%20Countryside

When I rode I joined volunteered to clear bridlepaths, the BHS have a very good network.

http://www.ride-uk.org.uk/

There is also:

http://www.bhsaccesscornwall.org.uk/Associations.htm

I should have reported the doberman i agree, i did have a moan at the vet nurse who keeps her horse there and she did tell me he'd had loads of pressure about it and now keeps the dog chained up, but oh deary me, somehow that's not good either, I hate dogs used that way .

My neighbour told me not to report the farmers who block the footpaths because they very generously provide the village with a field for allotments I don't have an allotment, I have a bigger garden than her...
I used to live an area where the local farmers were all related and none liked people walking the footpaths and used to block them with all sorts of stuff.

It took me two years but eventually I got ALL of them cleared and proper access and signposting in.

I have to say, saddo that I am, I treated it as a contest, and I won!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >