Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
donnabywater
New Member!
Female 

23-07-2011, 08:36 PM

Border terrier stripping!!

hi everyone, all new to this! we have had a boarder for 2 yr now and have decided to try stripping her ourselves, any tips please? all welcome donna
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 12:04 PM
I am sure when Borderdawn sees this she will reply.
Windhound
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-07-2011, 10:28 PM
If you have had your dog for 2yrs he/she must look like a woolie bear. The first thing to do is comb through the coat to remove as much as you can,and then you start to strip! A very useful tool is the rubber finger cots that they used to use in the post office,to go through the stamps,the ones with rubber pimples. this gives you a better grip,always strip with the lay of the coat. Brush the coat up and you will see the hairs that need to come off,they are the harder ones. Do not rush the job as you do not want to cause any discomfort,sometimes it is good just to sit with the dog on your knee whilst watching tv so that it does not seem to be something bad and they are more relaxed, Now Border Dawn can tell you more,she is the expert.Enjoy.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2011, 02:23 PM
Have a look at this page in my site. Any questions, just ask.

http://www.emblehope.co.uk/border-te...-and-grooming/
donnabywater
New Member!
Female 

26-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by Windhound View Post
If you have had your dog for 2yrs he/she must look like a woolie bear. The first thing to do is comb through the coat to remove as much as you can,and then you start to strip! A very useful tool is the rubber finger cots that they used to use in the post office,to go through the stamps,the ones with rubber pimples. this gives you a better grip,always strip with the lay of the coat. Brush the coat up and you will see the hairs that need to come off,they are the harder ones. Do not rush the job as you do not want to cause any discomfort,sometimes it is good just to sit with the dog on your knee whilst watching tv so that it does not seem to be something bad and they are more relaxed, Now Border Dawn can tell you more,she is the expert.Enjoy.
hi thanks for telling me about boarder dawn,she is amazing! our dog Bella the boarder has been going to a dog hairdresser since she has needed to but they have retired so we thought we would have ago ourselves, so she doesn't quite look like a woolie bear just yet!!! donna
donnabywater
New Member!
Female 

26-07-2011, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by donnabywater View Post
hi thanks for telling me about boarder dawn,she is amazing! our dog Bella the boarder has been going to a dog hairdresser since she has needed to but they have retired so we thought we would have ago ourselves, so she doesn't quite look like a woolie bear just yet!!! donna
we will have ago at stripping ourselves and will post before and after photographs to let you no, thanks again donna
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2011, 10:27 PM
Look forward to it. You will get better and better the more you do it.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2011, 10:38 PM
Dawn, do you brush the coat before you hand strip it? I've been thinking about doing this with my Slovak, who looks quite scruffy as of late. I use a metal comb brush on her (not a stripping blade) and although it seems to take quite a bit of coat off her, she still looks like a scruff bag.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Dawn, do you brush the coat before you hand strip it? I've been thinking about doing this with my Slovak, who looks quite scruffy as of late. I use a metal comb brush on her (not a stripping blade) and although it seems to take quite a bit of coat off her, she still looks like a scruff bag.
LOL! I can imagine.

What I would do, is comb her through thoroughly with a flea comb. You will get a lot of loose stuff out first then. Use a blunt stripping knife or your finger and thumb.

Id recommend this knife:
http://www.hubintsecured.co.uk/acata...ng_Knives.html

First or second one depending on you!
jenstina
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-07-2011, 01:18 PM
After looking at the stripping instructions on your website (Borderdawn ), I now know what to do with Jennies feet. Up until now she looks as though she's wearing her Dads slippers, lol, she's got big comedy style feet! Mind, she's never been overly keen on having her front paws touched, so I'll take it slowly.
Thanks for pointing out the grooming info, it looks like there's a few of us are going to benefit from it or our dogs are, lol!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >