Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2011, 01:11 PM

Males and Cleaning

I havn't owned a male dog in a long time so forgive my question

Rof is entire (dont know if its a entire thing) but he cleans "himself" all the live long day, for long periods of time aswell, now im grateful he keeps himself clean but he seems to get a bit obsessed with it, and i have to stop him.

Normally a "enough" stops him, im not concerned about it or anything like that, just curious really is it a normal male dog behavior? x
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2011, 01:14 PM
Hes a boy!! Boys like their bits

I would check he hasnt any irritation or anything but its prob totaly normal

I have a 'close your legs' command for Ben as we visited an elderly friend of my mothers and he spent the whole time in the middle of the floor, legs spread wide giving himself a noisy wash lol
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2011, 01:17 PM
Shila has a not in company command as she gets a bit like that

I've had a look at his bits and all seems fine, i've just never seen a dog pay so much attention to himself before x
Abbey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by Jem View Post
I havn't owned a male dog in a long time so forgive my question

Rof is entire (dont know if its a entire thing) but he cleans "himself" all the live long day, for long periods of time aswell, now im grateful he keeps himself clean but he seems to get a bit obsessed with it, and i have to stop him.

Normally a "enough" stops him, im not concerned about it or anything like that, just curious really is it a normal male dog behavior? x
Is he neutered? My boy doesnt, but some male dogs can be quite obsessive about cleaning their penis - have a good look at his penis and the prepuce - males - neutered and entire will sometimes get a sticky green infection - this can encourage licking. We see dogs every year where they have licked to the point of arousal and the penis become engorged and stuck (paraphimosis) - if this happens you need to get the penis back into the sheath by using something like vaseline - otherwise its to the vets. I would discourage over-cleaning - its not particularly nice and the sounds are pretty gross too...lol!

Is he peeing normally - a UTI can be another cause of intensive licking.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2011, 02:53 PM
I have an entire male and 2 neutered ones and none of them do this. I think I`d be asking the Vet to have a look first, then looking at ways to distract him if all was OK.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2011, 03:00 PM
I agree with C & D neither entire nor neutered males should be cleaning excessively. A quiick once over a couple of times a day is normal, any more and I would be looking at irritation, infection, boredorm or OCD in that order!
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2011, 03:01 PM
Ta muchly, didn't want to over react, will make a appointment x
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-07-2011, 03:03 PM
No nothing out of the ordinary with males I've owned. I'm sure I would have noticed if they had been OTT.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2011, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I have an entire male and 2 neutered ones and none of them do this. I think I`d be asking the Vet to have a look first, then looking at ways to distract him if all was OK.
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I agree with C & D neither entire nor neutered males should be cleaning excessively. A quiick once over a couple of times a day is normal, any more and I would be looking at irritation, infection, boredorm or OCD in that order!
I agree with these two posts. I'd try to note his toilet habits a bit too; is he asking to get out more often, different times...and a vet appointment.

All our males cleaned themselves but not excessively. Loui is the same, if he looks to be going on a bit long, then I tell him to stop and he will. So I would be a little worried if it was getting obsessive.
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2011, 05:53 PM
He's been to the vets this evening and they've put him on some ab's, he pee's normally and it seems the normal colour, (did some pee stalking today ) I mentioned it to o/h and o/h says he's always been a clean dog (no help what so ever )

If its a boredom thing how do u combat that?x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >