Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sutty
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2011, 02:44 PM

Showing bitches in season, would you do it

, Having entered a few champ shows here in Ireland over the next couple of weeks, I have pulled my girl as she is having her first season, which to my mind, is the right thing to do, not only because it would upset a tremendous amount of males but also the fact that my girl may be open to infection. I share petrol with a friend when we go to shows, and she was rather put out that I wasnt going, now she is the first to complain when her dog plays up in the ring, often commenting ' I bet someones got a bitch here in season', Ive heard her it say numerous times , but she thinks its ok for me to show my girl as long as she gets to only have to pay half for petrol. Ive since found out that it is allowed, judges turn a blind eye and apparently, its not in the rules. Another friend was beaten for BOB by a bitch in season only last week, to me, its wrong and rules should be in place preventing showing at these times, I would be interested in others views on the subject.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2011, 02:50 PM
imo you have done the right thing

Its stressful for you, for your girl and the other dogs around

I know others dont see a problem with it but imo if you have an unspayed bitch then when she is in season you should be keeping her away from other dogs
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2011, 02:51 PM
Whatever your personal feelings, the fact remains that is perfectly permissible to show a bitch in season so, until and unless the KC or IKC change the rules people will abide by them.

Especially if shows in the vicinity are few and far between and the cost of petrol is an issue and to miss it is an entry fee down the train.

I have worked an entire male at a competition with a bitch in season (it is perfectly permissible in Schutzhund too) so am not really bothered.

Males should be trained accordingly, just as stallions usually are, they do not go off their trolleys each time a mare comes into season, necessarily (and they do this every 3 weeks).

I can see it from both sides of the coin. But as I say, the rules are quite clear. If you want them changed then you need to put a proposal in to the KC via the usual channels.
sutty
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2011, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Whatever your personal feelings, the fact remains that is perfectly permissible to show a bitch in season so, until and unless the KC or IKC change the rules people will abide by them.

Especially if shows in the vicinity are few and far between and the cost of petrol is an issue and to miss it is an entry fee down the train.

I have worked an entire male at a competition with a bitch in season (it is perfectly permissible in Schutzhund too) so am not really bothered.

Males should be trained accordingly, just as stallions usually are, they do not go off their trolleys each time a mare comes into season, necessarily (and they do this every 3 weeks).

I can see it from both sides of the coin. But as I say, the rules are quite clear. If you want them changed then you need to put a proposal in to the KC via the usual channels.
I actually thought it was a no no with the UK KC, you learn something new everyday lol, but my point is, lots of people say do it, but I would be mortified if someone had a go at me for having my girl there in season as Ive heard so many people chuntering about it.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2011, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by sutty View Post
I actually thought it was a no no with the UK KC, you learn something new everyday lol, but my point is, lots of people say do it, but I would be mortified if someone had a go at me for having my girl there in season as Ive heard so many people chuntering about it.
I dont know about the showing world but I know in agility a in season bitch cannot be run

I think even if it is possible to train the males - it is still stressful for the bitch to be in that environment
and not all people at shows have as good control over their dogs
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2011, 03:04 PM
Its aways been like that.

I personally wouldn't do it, whats an entry fee but then again everyones different. I think you made the right decision
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2011, 03:06 PM
Bitches in season are not allowed at ANY KC licensed event bar Breed Showing. Never found my bitches to be stressed when they were in season and in the show ring; but I am sure there ARE some, just as there bitches who have phantoms etc etc.

If you are a caring considerate dog owner you know if your animals can tolerate (insert relevant activity/event) or not.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2011, 03:19 PM
Yup I am sure many will be fine Just my friends bitches around here were so stressed when there were other dogs about I wouldnt put a girl tru that

I agree you should know if your dog can cope
Bit of a pain if you are a caring owner who knows their male cant cope tho
Thankfully Ben dosent care unless they are right in his face - and even then will recal and in the agility ring he dosent see anything else
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2011, 03:44 PM
I had a castrated male who used to go to pieces in the presence of an in season bitch........... very odd.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2011, 03:56 PM
Probably not- can't be pleasant for the judge can it!

If it is allowed I see no problem with going there - but I would imagine it would upset some dogs.

Siren never reacted in any way to her seasons - she possibly had slightly more energy - but it is hard to tell as she is a fairly high energy dog anyway!!

I am also lucky with My boys - they are not really fussed about girls in season.
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »