Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 10:35 AM

Benji and training

Benj is about 5 and is likely to stay here long term. He came originally for residential training with Tasssle and then has had some top up sessions from me but has had long gaps in between with no training and a lot of freedom.

He has been clickered and remembers down and sit and will come and sit in front on a recall for a titbit. Excellent start point. I need to work on a stay.

I am trying to get a down as a default behaviour at a distance and when he sees something chaseable. he is not as bad as Celt was at chasing and can be distracted---the same with herding other dogs, he is distractable---which Celt isn't.

He will chase a ball and run off with it and may drop it on his way back if he bothers to come back. I'd like him ball obsessed if possible. To that end I am working on a 'hold' by clickering.

Heelwork will be interesting, at the moment he tries to climb up my nose from the front so I am empty hand clicking as a start for that.

I need to do a bit every day, yesterday I left it as he was a bit confused after coming here a bit upset then me going away. It was a lot for him to cope with.

Eventually I might try and work him at some kind of HTM. He wants to please and is quite a 'soft' dog. Biggest plus is that I like him a lot---goodness knows why!

rune
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 05:07 PM
I think he's gorgeous too, Lynn, so I'm not surprised you like him. I've no doubt you will lick him into shape in no time

x0x
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2011, 10:40 PM
Getting my thoughts a bit more in order for Benj now. He is really used to doing his own thing and it is a tribute to his temperament that he is as good as he is----although that could also be down to his weight!

On the plus side he has lost a kg in 5 days---so tonight he celebrated with a kong stuffed with lots of 'jimmy chew'---cooked meat/fat bits that a local butcher does.

I haven't got a hope in hell of getting him back if he decides to go when we are walking so he does go on lead on the way back to the car and if I see another dog before he does. He is better off lead with dogs, on lead he seems to feel threatened. Getting through the gate with four of them to walk is interesting but I feel sure eventually we will all sort it out, meanwhile it provides endless entertainment for other walkers.

Hand touch was interesting as I clicked wrong and managed to teach him to eat my hand rather than just touch it, I do still have all my fingers----just. He can do a couple of paces of walking and touching outstretched hand. He can down quite well and sometimes at a distance if he is tired (again down to the weight isssue which is working for me). Sit very easily becomes a down so sits are very short duration.

He is barking at night when they are let out, luckily it is Summer so I am taking him out on lead now so he doesn't feel he has to do it. He sleeps in the play pen, I would rather he didn't have to but it makes sense as letting them out in the morning is chaotic enough without addding a nippy collie to the mix.

He nicks Champa's ball and will run for a while holding it so I am hopeful that eventually I can get him ball orientated. That has the knock on effect of keeping Champa amused for ages looking for the ball where he thinks it ought to be.

Feeling quite positive at the moment although I am sure we will have another tractor type episode at some point!

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 07:55 PM
Update on Benj

I feel a lot happier and more in control walking him now. He will actually chase the ball sometimes and will carry it for long periods. He doesn't want his own ball though---it has to be Champas. He is still on lead until I am sure we are well away from any cars etc.

He managed to control himself when a car went over the cattle grid and he was off lead (long way away but he went previously) ---I was frozen with fear and my friend screamed at me to throw the ball as a reward---which worked!

Heelwork is coming on, he still tries to use his teeth but he is much better and he loves doing anything. Holds for a nano second before spitting toy out---it will come eventually. Stays in sit and down are practised daily for a few second each, Instant down when out is getting good. Would like to aim at April next year for simple HTM routine

Great with all visiting dogs etc, not brilliant sometimes with dogs on lead---am using down and lots of treats to calm and control him. He will eventually learn to chill I am sure---he just needs to trust me.

I am pleased with him, I don't think he will ever want to cope with going round town or boot sales etc ----but then he doesn't have to.

Pics taken by Tassle ---playing at jumping ans reinforcing sits.

Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 08:12 PM
Great pictures, rune - didn't know you had another new addition. That last photo really does capture the wonderfully expressive collie eyes - always a heart-melter for me
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 08:17 PM
Oh bless him. What a beautiful face! He looks like a collie that I walk.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Great pictures, rune - didn't know you had another new addition. That last photo really does capture the wonderfully expressive collie eyes - always a heart-melter for me
Not exactly intentional but he is a nice boy. No real edge to him.

Tassle did the pics!

rune
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 08:35 PM
He looks really lovely, good luck with him, i can see why you quite like him!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 08:37 PM
he looks great and he hasnt been with you that long and seems to be improving so good luck and enjoy.

He really is gorgeous, keep us posted!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2011, 03:07 PM
Update and a chance to order my thoughts about Benj.

He is doing quite nice hw with an empty hand touch but crabbing sometimes, still only a dozen or so steps before he is treated, working both sides. Sits are better---he tended to fall into a down very easily. He now understands to stay sitting. Instant down is good when not distracted---haven't really tried it with distractions. Will hold for a few seconds but still not really understanding. Nearly there with a foot target but seems to forget sometimes.

Better when out, I feel more relaxed as I get to know him better. Comes back well for a reward, will hang on to Champa's ball most of the walk and I can chuck it for him a few times before he gets bored. I try and do less but forget sometimes. Walks OK on easy walk harness, on flat collar very bad still but I don't really walk often on leads so not his fault.

Good with other dogs and loves people. Sleeping out of the playpen (on the sofa) and being left in bedroom with Champa in big crate and dog gate between him and other dogs when I go out.

Usually do five/ten mins training every day.

Still has a lot of weight to lose---that makes two of us

I think he is doing great.

rune
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >