Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 10:32 PM

Pet Plan Covered for Life exclusions

Can anyone explain this to me? I have read the paperwork but I'm still confused about exclusions.

Cain is covered for life, no pre-existing conditions that I am aware of. I thought that meant we were pretty safe in the world of insurance but I'm starting to worry we are not.

My dog trainer's GSD was under the same policy, scratched his cornea on a stick as a puppy. He got over it and is fine now, however Pet Plan excluded the dog's whole eye for the rest of it's life That seems mighty unfair considering the eye is fine.

Cain is so accident prone that I'm worried he'll do something small (like he got a cut on his leg recently) and they'll exclude his whole leg

I don't see how something so minor can cause them to place such wide ranging exclusions. For example say they excluded his leg due to the cut and years later he breaks it or developed arthritis, well that has nothing to do with the past cut yet I couldn't claim for it. It seems totally irrational and unfair. I paid a lot for Covered for Life so I had peace of mind that I'd be covered for every eventuality, but now it seems not. It seems to me that Covered for Life is only beneficial as in you can continue to claim for on going illnesses, however it doesn't protect you from ridiculous exclusions....

Am I understanding this right? Can anyone explain this me please as it's got me quite worried.
JackieandMia
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-06-2011, 11:47 PM
A cut on the eye is a lot different to a cut on the leg and can have more lasting damage perhaps that's why they excluded it. I wouldn't of thought a cut on the leg would have any affect on the policy especially if he broke it because a break is an accident that no insurance company should exclude.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-06-2011, 05:24 AM
I just changed Finn to Pet Plan as M&S were hiking premiums to a crazy price He has corneal dystrophy and this will not be covered for eye problems either but I have to send in his vet records so they can reassess his condition. Not sure if they will cover any other eye problems yet
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 07:21 AM
ANy injury to the eye is not considered "minor" in insurance terms. It can also prove to have complications later down the line which may result in expensive surgery.

This is why the exclusion on the eye exists.

This is perfectly normal practice and common across all insurers. The same applies to people.

It is a basic tenet of risk management and it is the insurance actuaries will evaluate the likelihood of recurrence by providing the mathematical and analytical foundations for financial decision-making based on previous history.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 08:31 AM
But as they were insured BEFORE the eye got scratched, should it be "covered for life", and therefore any problems resulting from it should be covered and not excluded? Otherwise I'm left wondering what you can claim for if they just exclude something every time the dog gets sick?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
But as they were insured BEFORE the eye got scratched, should it be "covered for life", and therefore any problems resulting from it should be covered and not excluded? Otherwise I'm left wondering what you can claim for if they just exclude something every time the dog gets sick?

I maybe am not explaining myself too well.

Do you understand the meaning of covered for life?

It does NOT mean what you think it means from reading your post.

ALL insurance policies will have exclusions, either original ones or ones that are put in place after a particular injury. This is NORMAL and applies to houses, cars, people, dogs, boats etc etc

I am with pet plan and I can assure you that I have had no exclusions put on my policies ever, it depends on the injury, the location of the injury, the type of injury and the likelihood of this injury triggering potential other issues down the line.

Why not speak to PP directly?
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 10:28 AM
I realise it's not a Pet Plan exclusive problem and that it's comon place, it's just that it's very confusing to know what will be treated and what will be excluded.

I've tried emailing them but their emails are always very short, not terribly helpful and it take weeks to get a reply.The last time I tried to talk to Pet Plan directly on the phone, I sat on hold for half an hour listening to the most awful plinky plonky piano music then had to hang up before it drove me insane.....!!!

Insurance. Just seems to that you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't!
JackieandMia
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-06-2011, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Ah i read your post wrong and persumed he cut the eye before the insurance started.

Yes you're correct he should be covered for life and for them to just exclude the eye is absolutly terrible. What the devil do they call life policy then if they're going to start excluding things.

I've made numerous claims for thousands of £'s and have never had any exclusions put on a policy apart from when i changed 2 yrs ago to another company they excluded elbows but that's normal practice because she had ED already.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 06:18 PM
Maybe this link will help those who are confused.

http://www.vip4u.co.uk/
JackieandMia
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-06-2011, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Maybe this link will help those who are confused.

http://www.vip4u.co.uk/
I'm not confused i know what lifetime cover is as i've had it long enough and made enough claims of which none of the conditions have ever been excluded.

If a company excludes a condition after x amount of time on a lifetime policy then they are misleading people calling it lifetime.

I am just so glad i've never taken out pet insurance for my dog with PP after reading this.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >