Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2011, 09:04 AM

Diesel killed a squirrel.

Sometimes my dogs like to do complete 180's to keep me on my toes I'm sure.

I always thought that Diesel was too high driven, he couldn't not chase anything, sometimes even grass moving, but then I noticed that actually he never tried to make contact with anything he chased, apart from Foxes, and thought that he just liked the chase, and nothing else, I mean I showed this dog a dead rabbit to see what he thought, he jumped the stream and didn't come back until it was gone Honey decided that it was good for eating. Anyway on Sunday I took the dogs out and we sat in a empty field, Honey was being sick, so I was looking after her a bit, Diesel was running around some trees, but knowing where he was I thought that it was fine, until I saw him with something that looked brown in his mouth, and tbh I thought for a minute that someone else came into the field and Diesel nicked a kids teddy, its happened before so I called him back and he dropped it and came to me, after Honey stopped being sick I walked up with the dogs, and it was a dead squrriel, I have to say it was pretty clean, there was just one puncture wound, so I checked Diesel over, as it wasn't stiff or cold, and wasn't there when we arrived, so it all points that Diesel killed it, and when Honey got hers a few years ago it bite her, but apart from a bit of blood on his tounge there was nothing, tbh I'm still a bit shocked that my teddy loving pansie boy had it in him to do this, he's chased squrriels before, but deliberty not got close enough to them, so like I said sometimes my dogs like to do 180s just to keep me on my toes I swear they do!!
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-06-2011, 12:06 PM
Layton would like you to know he's jealous cos they just cheat and run up trees when they see him coming (and evil owner puts him on the lead to stop him bouncing up and down at the bottom of the tree for 20 minutes).
Kyllobernese
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-06-2011, 11:37 PM
The squirrels are always teasing Susie by running up trees. One day I went down to the barn and my little dogs chased something under the barn, then back out the other side and Susie grabbed it and killed it.

It was a marmot and you could tell she was so proud that she had finally caught that "big squirrel". It happened so fast or I would have stopped her as there are not that many marmots around. I let her take it off and give it a decent burial.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 06:24 AM
Maybe this one was ill in some way so he could catch it easier or it was more tempting prey?
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-06-2011, 06:41 AM
my lurcher brings them back alive and normally i dispatch them (they are half dead), the poor ******s, she has never actually killed one of them.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 09:02 AM
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
Layton would like you to know he's jealous cos they just cheat and run up trees when they see him coming (and evil owner puts him on the lead to stop him bouncing up and down at the bottom of the tree for 20 minutes).
If I don't have them on a lead they will wait at the bottom, but generally Diesel always deliberty misses them, the chase is more fun then the kill

Originally Posted by Kyllobernese View Post
The squirrels are always teasing Susie by running up trees. One day I went down to the barn and my little dogs chased something under the barn, then back out the other side and Susie grabbed it and killed it.

It was a marmot and you could tell she was so proud that she had finally caught that "big squirrel". It happened so fast or I would have stopped her as there are not that many marmots around. I let her take it off and give it a decent burial.
I do think that squirells like teasing dogs, I think its one of their past times, but for this unlucky squrriel its teasing days are now over.

Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
Maybe this one was ill in some way so he could catch it easier or it was more tempting prey?
Might be, I do know that when we use to race him agaisnt motorbikes (always people we knew, or I jumped on the quad, if I wasn't riding or certain people they'd be tied up) you could actually see the cogs turning in his head, and he only seemed to chase the ones that weren't too fast he couldn't catch them up

Originally Posted by astle9 View Post
my lurcher brings them back alive and normally i dispatch them (they are half dead), the poor ******s, she has never actually killed one of them.
I would die at that point, I've been bitten by a squrriel before, and the only squriell I want to touch now is a dead one
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
I would die at that point, I've been bitten by a squrriel before, and the only squriell I want to touch now is a dead one
Im surprised - you have small furries yourself.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Im surprised - you have small furries yourself.
Yes four, two rabbits and two chinchillas, the dogs and the rabbits have been out together, and Honey's even cleaned a chinchilla ear when they've been handled by someone else, the difference being, being inside is totally different to being outside I've also had a Deerhound that lived with the rabbits, whose best friend was a lion head, and I know of other hounds that are good with small furries, its the same as cats, the rules of inside and outside are different, its not really that surprising really, espcially with how many hounds are so lazy in their home.

I mean look at Honey, I know outside she'd kill Drew, but inside she's happy with him.

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=145863
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
I was thinking the same. Years ago one of my Cairns caught a squirrel and killed it and bought it back to me and dropped it at my feet! I screamed very loudly as it was early in the morning and it was a shock. It was a very large squirrel too but I consoled myself by thinking that it must have been ill or injured as it would have been too fast for him to catch otherwise.

They can be quite vicious as I saw a Labrador story on the news once where the dog had cornered the squirrel and it attacked the Lab and his face was badly bitten.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2011, 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
I was thinking the same. Years ago one of my Cairns caught a squirrel and killed it and bought it back to me and dropped it at my feet! I screamed very loudly as it was early in the morning and it was a shock. It was a very large squirrel too but I consoled myself by thinking that it must have been ill or injured as it would have been too fast for him to catch otherwise.

They can be quite vicious as I saw a Labrador story on the news once where the dog had cornered the squirrel and it attacked the Lab and his face was badly bitten.
I've been bitten by one, and have heard stories about people and children being attacked by them in parks where people have been feeding them, basically they have lost their fear in some areas, and become brave, so when I saw this one I moved it with my foot and not my hand to check if it was dead, I've already had enough animal bites on my hands
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >