Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 04:49 PM

Coopers new martingale collar

Well half of it!

I decided to have a go with my remaining paracord at making Cooper a Martingale collar for when I need to walk him on lead and he isn't wearing his harness, as I had a slight incident the other day where he nearly slipped his collar.

I've done half of it but can't decide how to do the back 'martingale' section, if anyone has any suggestions let me know!

It should double nicely as a fairly posh 'show collar' if I decide to do any companion shows with him this year (possibly going to one on Sunday).

greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 09:43 AM
You need to have another piece going between the rings and then another ring on that to attach the lead to You need to make sure the collar tightens but not to tight that the two end of the collar are touching
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 10:08 AM
I realize that, which is why I put in my post

'I've done half of it but can't decide how to do the back 'martingale' section, if anyone has any suggestions let me know!'

I finished it this morning with a piece of biothane I had left over.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post
I realize that, which is why I put in my post

'I've done half of it but can't decide how to do the back 'martingale' section, if anyone has any suggestions let me know!'

I finished it this morning with a piece of biothane I had left over.
Yes and thats what i was describing the martingale part, seeing as you knew why ask in the first place, i was trying to help i wish i hadn't bothered cheers !
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 05:54 PM
I was asking about using a knotting method, not how a martingale collar works

I finished it this morning with a piece of biothane instead of using rope in the end, but to be honest I am not completely comfortable using a collar that tightens, I spent most of the time making sure it wasn't too tight
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-06-2011, 07:25 AM
As long as you make it the right length its never going to be tighter than if he was wearing an ordinary collar. Look up macrame and scoobies if you want knotting ideas!
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2011, 07:29 AM
Glad you worked out how to do it, maybe make your post a bit clearer next time !
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2011, 07:42 AM
Have you gone for material the same width of narrower?

Mine have the same width, but I expect the narrow might look better if you are going to use if for showing.
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2011, 09:43 AM
There are a few people on the forum who use these knotting techniques, I was hoping one of them might recommend a type of knot to have suitable release, as I am still a newbie at it. Unfortunately on the Internet you can't always effectively get across the things you want to say as people read things differently.

The biothane isn't quite what I wanted to finish it, but I wanted to test it out as I am going to a fun dog show tomorrow where I was thinking of using it, as his harness is quite large.

I made this collar narrower than I did with the whistle lanyard (it's the same type of braid).

I took a few pics of him wearing it yesterday, but they aren't particularly good as he was at full stretch on the lead and I was holding another dog at the time.