Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2011, 06:37 PM

Consumer Rights?

Does anyone know anything about it.

I booked luca on to a playscheme for on eweek of the summer holidays advertised in a brochure via our local communtiy centre,
It was cheap at £10 for the week, but I assumed it was either subsidised as through the communtiy centre or was a mistake.

When I booked it over the phone the first day of booking, i checked 3 times that the price was right and was tld yes it was. Now almost 2 weeks later I have had a phone call from the community centre saying that the price is wrong and they could offer me a refund or book me on at the correct price which is 8 x more - £80 for the week !!

I am so annoyed as Luca knows he is doing it and really looking forward to it, there is no way I can afford the £80 and they are not willing to accept any responsibility for it..

Are there any legal rights here as I have a brochure clearly stating the price and a phonecall checking the price and not to mention that I have paid in advance?

Anyone - i checked consumer advice website but cant see anything that relates to it...
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2011, 06:49 PM
I would phone your Trading Standards dept if there is one. However, would you want your child to be cared for by people who are either incompetent (let`s face it - getting the price wrong on all the advertising is a pretty big mistake?) or con artists?
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2011, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I would phone your Trading Standards dept if there is one. However, would you want your child to be cared for by people who are either incompetent (let`s face it - getting the price wrong on all the advertising is a pretty big mistake?) or con artists?
its actually a really good ( outside company) who are running the playscheme just at the community centre and its the cmmunity centre who did the brochure etc.. its all a bit of a muck up, but the actual tutor for the playscheme etc is excellent and its a great line up of events so its just so frustrating that they have it wrong...
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-06-2011, 07:26 PM
This is from memorybut as I recall this comes under something called invitation to treat which basically means the seller isn't legally obligated to charge you the display price if that is wrong. I'm tooup I'm I'm thinking this would apply to brochures etc as well as shops
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2011, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
This is from memorybut as I recall this comes under something called invitation to treat which basically means the seller isn't legally obligated to charge you the display price if that is wrong. I'm tooup I'm I'm thinking this would apply to brochures etc as well as shops
thanks !!!
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2011, 07:39 PM
if you have booked and paid for then they have to honour it, if not I dont think they do. but trading standards will be your best bet.
ATD x
RRmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-07-2011, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
if you have booked and paid for then they have to honour it, if not I dont think they do. but trading standards will be your best bet.
ATD x
I would agree with this if you have paid and they have accepted payment then they have entered into a contract to offer that service at that price. They cannot ask for more after the event.
If you have not yet paid, then they are at liberty to withdraw their offer of the service at said price - although it is not very good customer service and perhaps they should offer you a discount as a gesture of good will.

Hope you get it sorted out.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-07-2011, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
ATD x
Brundog said in her OP that she had already paid and that nearly two weeks later the Community Centre had telephoned to say the price was wrong and offered a refund, or that she should re-book at what they say the price should have been, ie £80 for the week.

So they have already accepted the money and booked Luca in.
MadisonSale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-07-2011, 05:16 PM
http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg...type=RESOURCES

this link explains about misleading information and the sale of goods and services
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2011, 06:54 PM
I would call Consumer Direct for clarification but money changed hands so they accepted your payment at that price and should honour it. If they had said, "oh no, it's a mistake" BEFORE you paid them, then they would not have to honour it as the contract had not completed.

Trading standards would also be interested as it also falls under "misleading advertising".

I know all this 'cos I had to ring Consumer Direct last week after I tried to buy some items labelled "Buy one get one free" in a charity shop, but they refused to do the BOGOF saying it wasn't their labels! Because I hadn't already paid they didn't have to honour it - most shops would have done out of goodwill as it was their mistake! - but Consumer Direct are passing it onto Trading Standards under the misleading advertising law. I don't need to mention that if the shop had done the decent thing, I wouldn't have reported them!