Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pam_000
New Member!
Female 

21-06-2011, 07:36 AM

The vet and your dog

My youngest and yet largest dog recently cut his paw. Not a bad cut just the top layer of skin type cut but a cut none the less. I wasnt sure whether to take him to the vet or not, he was constantly licking it.
In my head i was going its better to take him now than to leave it but i decided to have a look online (not on this site tho) just to see if there was anyone else with the same situation. I got a lot of yahoo answers coming up with people in the same situation and the most common answer was to just leave it and that a dogs saliva would clean it.
The following day he wasnt himself atall had gone from a happy wee chap to a i dont want to do anything or eat anything. I started to worry so we took him to the vet.
As i said the cut wasnt bad but it had an infection and not from the actual cut but from constantly licking it and he had licked between his toes red raw.

I just want to put a wee warning out there..... if you have in your head to take them to the vet but are unsure (it costs a bomb even if theres nothing wrong) just go to the vet. I wish i had gone with my gut instinct and even tho its not a bad infection or anything it could of got a lot worse. Hes now back to his happy self and playing with his sister and im thrilled.

Always go with your gut.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 08:04 AM
I agree. I have always taken my dogs straight to the vet for everything, to the point where I think they thought I was quite neurotic
I wouldn't take chances with a child so why would I with an animal just because I have to pay.
pam_000
New Member!
Female 

21-06-2011, 10:28 AM
too right. i thought my vet would think i was silly cause it was such a daft cut but just shows your always better and not to just listen to the internet and what other people say.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 10:32 AM
i hate it when peeps say 'saliva will clean it' like heck it will!! its full of bacteria and will make any wound or irritation worse!!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 10:38 AM
Me too, they are licking their paws, their bums and poo etc so how people come to the conclusion that saliva is healing I have NO idea.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 10:46 AM
If Jake cuts his paw (as long as it is minor), i just make up some salty water (using boiled water) and bathe the paw in that (once the water has cooled obviously ). It always heals well, and he has never yet been to the vet for a cut paw (he has cut his paw quite a few times!). I sometimes think i can become neurotic about taking Jake to the vets, and I am try not to be too OTT...

I'm glad the infection isn't too bad
pam_000
New Member!
Female 

21-06-2011, 10:52 AM
thanks

its just one of those one where you need to go with your gut feeling. dogs are like babies in the way they cant tell you whats wrong they can indicate but cant obv say oh yeah its nippy or its itchy. id rather a vet got something wrong and could fix it than i do something wrong and panic.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by pam_000 View Post
too right. i thought my vet would think i was silly cause it was such a daft cut but just shows your always better and not to just listen to the internet and what other people say.
I think it depends on who on the internet you listen too... i have read some ridiculous things from some people but some people can be really helpful. Obviously don't take what you read as gospel, and if you think it is needed, of course take the dog to the vets.

When my dog cut his paw, I read to bathe his paw in salty water and it worked fantastic. So now, if he ever cuts his paw then I always do that, and it always works. He recently had problems with his skin, and after much reading i decided to try apple cider vinegar (which was suggested many times). It has been 4 days and his skin is so much better now... I had an appointment book for Saturday so i cancelled it to see how he would get on over the weekend, and he now won't be going since there is no need
pam_000
New Member!
Female 

21-06-2011, 10:55 AM
well thats good.

the thing was the most common thing i read was to just leave it and that their saliva would kill the bacteria, but i still wasnt convinced. hes much happier now since he got his antibiotics and got some anti itch cream on. back to himself.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 11:24 AM
Pleased to hear he is feeling better.

If I am unsure if a vet visit is required, I always give them a ring to see, and they usually advise if I can do something at home. I used to be terrible at going to the vet at a drop of a hat but after the years I have been around dogs, I tend to know what is what.

Helen
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >