View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 07:18 AM

Khal (Mikey) is having first training session tonight..

Hi all, well got Khal (aka Mikey) booked in for his first ever training session tonight in Colchester.

The club is run by 2 ladies and they only ever have 5 dogs/owners at a time, they have a hall & a field at their disposal. The course is run for 6 weeks an hour at a time.

I havent had time to go look at the class before we try it as I only called them up last week & the beginner one is starting tonight. They have put on an extra class as they are getting booked up extremely quickly.They also do advanced learning after this course.

We've to turn up 30 minutes before the class so I can give Khal a 15 minute walk round the field & also they introduce the dogs to each other (on lead) before it starts.

I need to take cheese or chicken bits, I reckon I'll go with the cheese as he loves to really sniff the food before he eats

Really looking forward to it as he is such an intelligent dog I think this will do wonders for him.
Any tips/advice appreciated.

Bev
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 07:20 AM
Originally Posted by Rubster View Post
I need to take cheese or chicken bits, I reckon I'll go with the cheese as he loves to really sniff the food before he eats
Go for both and mix them in your treat pouch - the variation will keep things interesting for him!

Good luck, hope it goes well
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 07:59 AM
How exciting, I bet he'll love the extra stimulation

I've been looking out for updates...hopefully everything is fine and he's settled in like a dream xx
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 08:14 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Go for both and mix them in your treat pouch - the variation will keep things interesting for him!

Good luck, hope it goes well
Good idea Krlyr thankyou Am off to Iceland shopping in a bit so I'll pick some stuff up there.

Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
How exciting, I bet he'll love the extra stimulation

I've been looking out for updates...hopefully everything is fine and he's settled in like a dream xx
Sorry been no updates for a few days, he has definitely (sp) kept me on my toes BIG style lol Will go start another thread on that now just to give you all a giggle!

Bev x
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 08:22 AM
I often mix in the good stuff with some of his kibble (make sure he has not had tea!)

I will also add a bit of Garlic sausage (the Tesco one Stinks!!!) or some pepperami to flavour - and do it asap so all the grease and smell soaks into the dry stuff.

Have a great time.
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 08:23 AM
Best of luck. Can't wait to hear how you get on xx
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 08:40 AM
Sounds a good class re number of dogs and introducing them first. We went to one where they had 12 dogs in a tiny hall! I should have checked first as I wanted to take Cherry and she would have completely freaked out but nevermind, Parker enjoyed it.

Hope your first class goes well.
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I often mix in the good stuff with some of his kibble (make sure he has not had tea!)

I will also add a bit of Garlic sausage (the Tesco one Stinks!!!) or some pepperami to flavour - and do it asap so all the grease and smell soaks into the dry stuff.

Have a great time.
Ahhh thats a fab idea thanks Tassle. I cant wait in all honesty LOL Sounds really silly but I'm so desperate to do something with ALL of my dogs & this is the 1st step of it

Originally Posted by Berger View Post
Best of luck. Can't wait to hear how you get on xx
Thankyou too I'm taking my 2 sons with me, so I'll see if they can get a couple of piccies while theyre sitting watching & post them later.

Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
Sounds a good class re number of dogs and introducing them first. We went to one where they had 12 dogs in a tiny hall! I should have checked first as I wanted to take Cherry and she would have completely freaked out but nevermind, Parker enjoyed it.

Hope your first class goes well.
That sounds the same as the class I have Sasi booked into in August but I may well change it if this one is good.Thankwoo

Bev x
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 08:06 PM
How did it go?
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2011, 06:47 AM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
How did it go?
Morning all! It went brilliantly fabulously marvellouly well ( ok thats enough of big words for today )

We got there at 6:45 & took him for a wander round the big field, he sort of got sidetracked by al lthe other....MUCH smaller dogs Even though he was on a lead there was only 1 person that made the effort to bring their dog over on the field & that was a lady with a whippet , even though I had made sure to tell anyone we'd walked past with him that he was in no way dog aggressive & he maybe big but hes a huge softy.

After getting into the hall the others had no choice but to let Khal sniff their dogs & vice versa & in the space of 10 minutes he had everyones heart won over

1st we were taught how to do sit, as the trainer was using her own dog to show us how to do it Khal was sitting thinking "hang on am sitting, shes saying good boy...where the hells my treat" & with a huge grunt lay on the floor
When it was his turn he would have done sumersaults for a bit of garlicy chicken never mind a sit

We also did the 'down' for lay down, everyone else had had their down & then it was Khals turn, so we went into the middle of the floor & tried & tried & tried....eventually he got it & everyone clapped & cheered for him! Such a proud proud moment!!

All in all a fab lesson, cant wait for next week, walk to heel, god knows we defo need that one has he pulls my arm out its socket when i take him & Ruby out together.
Heres a few pics the kids took on my phone so not the best quality

Before the lesson..

Trying sit..

The boys took turns too, so Khal will know he has to 'respect' when they ask him to do it too

Bev x
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >