Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 08:29 AM

Anyone converted a car to LPG?

We are thinking of having my merc done, I'm just waiting for a local company to contact me with a quote.

I just wondered if anyone has any experience, good or bad that they could share.

My main worry is that the tank could explode and Henry and his cage would be directly above it, but Clive assures me that the tanks are safer than the petrol tank...I'm such a worry guts
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 08:35 AM
My dad converted his Chevvy Blazer after it came over from america and it did save him a lot of money.. stupidly though he decided that he could do it himself and has had endless problems with it lol.

I think its worth it if its all set up properly!! Have you got a local pump that sells it? We have to drive 2 junctions down the A3 to get to ours lol!!
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 08:38 AM
Originally Posted by Pawsonboard View Post
My dad converted his Chevvy Blazer after it came over from america and it did save him a lot of money.. stupidly though he decided that he could do it himself and has had endless problems with it lol.

I think its worth it if its all set up properly!! Have you got a local pump that sells it? We have to drive 2 junctions down the A3 to get to ours lol!!
Well it's all Clive's idea and he assures me that you can fill them up more or less anywhere these days...I was a bit worried about being stuck somewhere and it run out, but he said that you keep petrol in your tank and it switches over if the gas runs out.

Sounds brilliant the way he describes it but I would hate my lovely merc to be ruined. The company I have contacted are here in Milton Keynes and have a really good and informative website...I shall just have to wait and see what price they come back with

If we do have it done then I won't have Clive moaning at the cost of petrol when I want to go to the dog shows
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-06-2011, 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Well it's all Clive's idea and he assures me that you can fill them up more or less anywhere these days...I was a bit worried about being stuck somewhere and it run out, but he said that you keep petrol in your tank and it switches over if the gas runs out.

Sounds brilliant the way he describes it but I would hate my lovely merc to be ruined. The company I have contacted are here in Milton Keynes and have a really good and informative website...I shall just have to wait and see what price they come back with

If we do have it done then I won't have Clive moaning at the cost of petrol when I want to go to the dog shows
I can think of at least 5 petrol stations round here, and I have yet to see a LPG pump.

What would worry me Sheree, is that they have not yet caught on , to the point, you can fill up at any petrol stations, what if you get caught out(it happens to us all) and cant find a station that sells it??
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 09:05 AM

Yeah, the car will still start on petrol and then switch itself over to gas (i think). Freddie (my OH) is a mechanic and wants to change my merc to gas as I do so much driving and as it is it costs me about a tenner a day because I do so many short journeys picking up and dropping off various dogs.

Im not keen as I love my merc estate as it is (spent 2 hours cleaning it last night lol!! )

As far as filling up goes I only know of the one petrol station that sells it where we are and dad always had to go to liphook services to fill it up!!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

14-06-2011, 09:05 AM
Tell Clive to stop moaning, you have to have some pleasure in life!!

For goodness sake, you dont go to that many to warrent it
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 09:06 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I can think of at least 5 petrol stations round here, and I have yet to see a LPG pump.

What would worry me Sheree, is that they have not yet caught on , to the point, you can fill up at any petrol stations, what if you get caught out(it happens to us all) and cant find a station that sells it??
That's what I said to Clive, but apparently, you still have the petrol engine and that works as a back up. Sounds too good to be true but, once they get back to us, we will have a better idea of what the costs are and how it all works

I think I shall do a search on stations around here that would top it up, I wonder if the place where we would take it, which is only about 5 miles away, also tops them up.

ETA: there are about 5 stations within a few miles of here, aswell as the conversion place that stock it
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

14-06-2011, 09:09 AM
That's what I said to Clive, but apparently, you still have the petrol engine and that works as a back up. Sounds too good to be true but, once they get back to us, we will have a better idea of what the costs are and how it all works

I think I shall do a search on stations around here that would top it up, I wonder if the place where we would take it, which is only about 5 miles away, also tops them up
So with that in mind, whats the point of spending the money to convert, unless it proves to save you a fortune in cost.

The other concern of mine would be the resale value, you are narrowing your market by converting the engine.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
So with that in mind, whats the point of spending the money to convert, unless it proves to save you a fortune in cost.

The other concern of mine would be the resale value, you are narrowing your market by converting the engine.
Well its a lot cheaper to run the car on LPG than petrol, the petrol engine is there purely for back-up, if you are in an area that doesn't sell LPG and you run out.

The LPG conversions are more expensive than petrol cars to buy, so long as the conversions have been done by a recognised conversion company.

This is what Clive has been telling me for ages, I don't know anything other than what I have read on the conversion company site.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

14-06-2011, 10:25 AM
You should find all the info you need here

http://www.greenfuel.org.uk/

It's not cheap and unless you rack up the miles probably not worth it in my opinion.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >