Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 05:03 PM

Boarding kennels - Yes or No ??

I work in a boarding kennels and was just wondering if you use a kennels and if not why. I never used one always had the nurse from my vets move in to the house while i am away. But now im working in one ive taken my dog and she is booked in while i am going on holiday.

Do you use them?

Only if no other option?

Never?

Thankyou
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 05:09 PM
As I always have rescues I would never put them in kennels as I am sure they would not cope very well so if I go anywhere they come with me.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-06-2011, 05:20 PM
Mine go into kennels each year and are happy to do so.
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-06-2011, 05:27 PM
I haven't yet, as Simon (12) was a very sorry rescue when I got him, and had been in and out of kennels all his life. No way could I put him in one.

I may in the future for Jake if necessary, but I don't plan to. I like having holidays with the dogs
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 05:28 PM
Yip mine all go into kennels incuding the rescues
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 05:44 PM
I've only ever put one of my dogs into kennels and that was many years ago. Although it was a decent one he did smell of kennel when he came out and was a bit unsettled. I would only ever put a dog into kennels if there was no other option.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by katygeorge View Post
I work in a boarding kennels and was just wondering if you use a kennels and if not why. I never used one always had the nurse from my vets move in to the house while i am away. But now im working in one ive taken my dog and she is booked in while i am going on holiday.

Do you use them?

Only if no other option?

Never?

Thankyou

I use a boarding kennels frequently to look after my dogs when I am away on business.

I would not consider having a housesitter (I do not like strangers in my house).

I certainly would not let them go to somebody else's house etc.

I want my dogs where they are the safest which for me is in a properly licensed, insured, up to date establishment with knowledgeable and professional owners.

I am very happy with my kennels and actually travel nearly two hours, often out of my way, to put my dogs there.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 06:11 PM
Nope, never ever unless it was an absolute last resort.

I use a pet sitter. She lives in the middle of nowhere, has access to tons of private land and has had dogs since well before I was born. The dogs stay in the house with her and get loads of exercise. She is great.
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-06-2011, 06:21 PM
No never. Mine have always stayed in a home environment with my daughter who I trust.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 06:22 PM
I put Molly into kennels earlier this year but she was so pitiful when I left her that I ended up going and fetching her after an hour. I don't think I'd leave her there again.

However, she does go to a dog sitter if I am going away or will be out all day and back very late. He walks dogs locally and has a doggy day care centre where he takes the dogs during the day, then keeps the dogs at his house overnight. I like her going to him because he has lots of experience, she likes him and his dogs and his 'regulars' are all dogs who we see locally on walks so she gets on with them well too

Plus it gives me peace of mind as he texts me every morning or night when she is with him to let me know how she's getting on!

The charge for the home boarding includes:
VAT
Two or more long walks a day, off lead or on lead depending on the dog & the walk route
Giving medication
Staying at the day care centre during the day
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »