Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 07:51 PM

Weight restrictions

Do horse riding places (I know I'll have to ask to be sure) generally have weight restrictions for their horses.

The In laws have an autistic son (22) who is 21 stone, mainly because all he does is sit on the sofa and eats or plays with his toys. So in order to get him to exercise - because he won't walk at all or do anything involving exercise (this is where riding comes in - sneaky sneaky) we thought horse riding. He has done it before when he was younger. But his Mum would like to get him into it..

He has been on my trampoline - but I don't like him too - it's exercise but with his weight - he almost touches the ground when he's bouncing - and trampolines aren't cheap plus the dogs run underneath and if he forgets to close the middle gate and goes on it - then I'm scared there will be broken spines and the lot..

Would a horse be able to hold his weight?

I'm trying to put this as kindly as I can...
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Do horse riding places (I know I'll have to ask to be sure) generally have weight restrictions for their horses.

The In laws have an autistic son (22) who is 21 stone, mainly because all he does is sit on the sofa and eats or plays with his toys. So in order to get him to exercise - because he won't walk at all or do anything involving exercise (this is where riding comes in - sneaky sneaky) we thought horse riding. He has done it before when he was younger. But his Mum would like to get him into it..

He has been on my trampoline - but I don't like him too - it's exercise but with his weight - he almost touches the ground when he's bouncing - and trampolines aren't cheap plus the dogs run underneath and if he forgets to close the middle gate and goes on it - then I'm scared there will be broken spines and the lot..

Would a horse be able to hold his weight?

I'm trying to put this as kindly as I can...
Yes generally riding stables like to know if a potential client is more than 15 stone as they may not have suitable horses.

Have you tried Riding for the Disabled?
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Yes generally riding stables like to know if a potential client is more than 15 stone as they may not have suitable horses.

Have you tried Riding for the Disabled?
No but I will look into that - thank you.
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 08:16 PM
Weight limits tend to be between 12-15 stone, depending on the biggest horse they have....
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by spockky boy View Post
Weight limits tend to be between 12-15 stone, depending on the biggest horse they have....
So I'm guessing unless I find a Shire or other cart horse - he can't go riding...
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 08:43 PM
I still would not put someone of 20 stone on a Shire/Clydesdale type...
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2011, 07:10 AM
Yeaah - back to the drawing board then I guess...
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2011, 08:32 AM
What about driving?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-05-2011, 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
So I'm guessing unless I find a Shire or other cart horse - he can't go riding...
Yes they have weight restrictions.

And as for finding him a shire ,(still to heavy) its not as simply as that, you will be restricted to the stables you can go to......the RDA is set up for exactly this purpose, and will have all the paperwork in place, normal riding schools, would probably not have the extra cover needed for such pupils.

Contact the RDA

www.rda.org.uk/, and see where your local one is, and what procedure they have for weight restriction.

The practicalities of getting a disabled body onto a 17 hh plus horse is not going to be easy to say the least.
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-05-2011, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Yes they have weight restrictions.

And as for finding him a shire ,(still to heavy) its not as simply as that, you will be restricted to the stables you can go to......the RDA is set up for exactly this purpose, and will have all the paperwork in place, normal riding schools, would probably not have the extra cover needed for such pupils.

Contact the RDA

www.rda.org.uk/, and see where your local one is, and what procedure they have for weight restriction.

The practicalities of getting a disabled body onto a 17 hh plus horse is not going to be easy to say the least.
RDA limit is 14 stone, at least ours is but we have some very heavy weight carries.

it would be worth contacting them about driving maybe?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >