Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 11:31 AM

I've got a feeling that teenagers

are knocking baby birds out of their nests.

I walk the dogs around ten or eleven at night for their last walk, now when I took them out the other day I noticed a load of teenagers by a tree, and then after a while I started hearing what sounded like a baby bird calling, I decided that when I got near there I will check it out, but before I got there the people had left, and it had gone quiet, so I thought nothing of it, but the next day I noticed a dead baby pigeon, and it got me wondering, but now I've noticed a few dead baby birds in that area, all young so I'm wondering if this group has anything to do with it, so I talked to the guy who works in the park today, and he mentioned (and I've seen the evidence) that one group is setting fires at night, and recently they set one during the day, but dissapeared after he pretended to take a pic of them. But what has annoyed me is the fact that if it is the teenagers doing this they are killing baby animals for a bit of entertainment or bordem, but I do know that they are planning on doing something to try and catch whose setting fires etc, so if it is happening fingers crossed they will find out whose done it.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 11:50 AM
I've seen several dead chickens around lately, I think it's just that time of year where chicks are getting a bit more mobile but are a bit too clumsy unfortunately. I know we used to get a few birds nesting in the garden and we had to check the garden every morning before letting the dogs out as one nesting spot in particular seemed to be a bit dangerous for the chicks and we'd find them on the floor calling for mum and have to pop them back up in the nest
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 12:36 PM
Leanne and I were walking the dogs the other day when Louie came across a baby blue tit on the ground.. The ranger said to just pop it back where we found it but out of the way. It's that time where they come out of the nest and bumble around the floor.

It could just be that - not just teenagers.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-05-2011, 02:02 PM
I would think if the dreaded teenagers were responsible for the babies on the ground, you would see signs of a nest around them too, as it would be a bit difficult to knock the babies out of the tree without leaving evidence, unless ofcause they climb the tree and pick the babies (dodging the parents) out and throw them to the ground.

My guess is as other shave said, its that time of year, fledglings getting to sure of themselves.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 09:05 AM
I would think that it was just them falling out, if it wasn't that it always happens at night, and that I never heard the bird at all until the teenagers were by that area, and that it stopped after the teenagers left , I've not witnessed that since, but all the babies seem to be on the floor first thing in the morning, I know how birds can fall out, and have seen many on the floor because of that, but seeing what I've seen, and even knowing what the teenages are like round here, I'd put money on it being them.