Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 02:25 PM

Hypothetical friend for Axel...

...I can't stress the hypothetical part enough...my husband and I have discussed it at length and agree that we don't have the space for a second dog...but we are looking into moving and if circumstances are right, it may eventually become a possibility...
I'm very happy with Axel as a single dog, and doesn't seem to mind, but I do think in the future he may enjoy a friend...

I've been day dreaming a little about it and wonder what your thoughts are...

Should I get a male or female? Axel hasn't had any problems with either and he doesn't seem bothered, but then he's not lived with a boy in his house so I don't know if that would change. He's had visitors of both genders and not seemed bothered. I think I'd prefer another male Greyhound as I like their personalities...

Would you go for matching energy levels or higher/lower? Axel enjoys his walks and does have mad moments of wanting to run, but most of the time he's happy plodding along or sleeping. Would a dog with too much energy be a problem do you think?

Just musing along in my mind...I'm pretty sure it'd be another Greyhound, but any other breeds you think would compliment one welcome

Thanks in advance for anyone else's thoughts, it'll be interesting to think what people think and see if it matches my ideas
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 03:25 PM
Thought I'd add the breeds I'd consider decent matches for my Greyhound (again hypothetical as my husband is allergic to most dogs)

*Greyhound
*Staffie
*Lurcher
*Schnauzer (Standard)
*Rottweiler

Anyone think any of the above would be any good?
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 03:26 PM
I'd get a big ass male Rotty x
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 03:29 PM
I love boy Rotties, something about them! If my hubbie wasn't allergic, would certainly be tempting!
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 03:33 PM
Have another grey Mel and let Axel chose ! I did that with Tom and he chose Bella ! I am sure he would love a girly grey like Bella as his forever friend !
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 03:35 PM
I do think that's the most likely future option. How do I know if he'll like them inside the house as well? He loves my friends GSD girl Rebel, but if he's lieing down and she keeps pestering him, he doesn't like it. I think he's like one who's mellow in the house but enjoys running around outside...
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
I do think that's the most likely future option. How do I know if he'll like them inside the house as well? He loves my friends GSD girl Rebel, but if he's lieing down and she keeps pestering him, he doesn't like it. I think he's like one who's mellow in the house but enjoys running around outside...
When Tom met Bella (sounds like a movie !) he was fine after 3 walks together , RGT let us take her home for the weekend and see how he was in his environment and she didnt go back to the kennels so I suppose until you try you dont know but I had a good idea from the 3 meets that all would be ok
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 05:56 PM
Greyhounds love thier own kind more than any other breed. They are bought up and always have company of other greyhounds during thier racing careers.
I had Shady with Kyiro to start with and he did love her, but was never as happy as when with another greyhound so thats why we now have Lily and he is now 100% content.
Its a well known fact that greyhounds really do prefer thier own kind.
Good Luck whatever you decide, I know it will be a very lucky dog to come into your family.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2011, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by TomtheLurcher View Post
When Tom met Bella (sounds like a movie !) he was fine after 3 walks together , RGT let us take her home for the weekend and see how he was in his environment and she didnt go back to the kennels so I suppose until you try you dont know but I had a good idea from the 3 meets that all would be ok
Thanks I think that's a good idea, maybe when the time comes a weekend trial would be helpful

Originally Posted by madmare View Post
Greyhounds love thier own kind more than any other breed. They are bought up and always have company of other greyhounds during thier racing careers.
I had Shady with Kyiro to start with and he did love her, but was never as happy as when with another greyhound so thats why we now have Lily and he is now 100% content.
Its a well known fact that greyhounds really do prefer thier own kind.
Good Luck whatever you decide, I know it will be a very lucky dog to come into your family.
Thanks Axel enjoys meeting any well behaved dog, but he is extra thrilled to meet Greyhounds and other pointies who are similar. He met a Greyhound male today who is normally not good with other dogs, him and Axel were great together and had a lovely walk. I do think it will be a Greyhound when the time comes.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2011, 11:09 PM
Another greyhound Mel!! Greys love their own breed (usually!!). Danny and Guinness were fine with each other from day one. In fact they were all great with Guinness..male and female. But I have to agree with you, I'm partial to male dogs too...and they're not homed as easily as females.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >