Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TuesdaJade
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-05-2011, 01:28 PM

Teaching 'enough' and 'away'.

As I've said in a previous post...my dog is constantly wanting to wrestle. My mother doesn't like it happening in the house, and I believe my brother's dog should be able to relax when we're in the 'den'...fearing she may get to much adrenaline going through her if pushed too far. I always have to put my Milaia in her room to give Girl(my Brother's dog) space.

I want to be able to tell her enough. What is the best way to train her to understand this? When I ask her to come and have her lie, she is back in Girl's face seconds later.
Except for in the mornings before our walks...it's not at all a wild play...if it is play. She just likes pushing Girl over and pinning her to the ground...or laying next to Girl gnawing at her legs and crawling after her when she moves...or pushing he against the wall and sitting on her.
It is quite funny...but not so much for Girl.
I just want to be able to tell her enough for her own safety.

And what about teaching her to leave the area when we are eating or whatever need for space we may have?
What are the best ways to go about this?
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 02:49 PM
I tend to use a "leave" command, rather than away (I don't know whether that's the right way to do it though?)

My 2 boys like to play "bitey-face", which is fine in the garden, but not fine when we're trying to relax in the living room/watching a film etc...

If they start, I would usually say "AH!" loudly, and that would make them stop and look at me (to see what I want), then I would command "Leave", with a flat hand signal.

They will often watch me/each other for a while and see if I relent; then slope off somewhere else (bed/kitchen etc)

My boys have a good leave command, as we've practised this with food and toys initially, as well as unsavoury things on the beach!

If Milaia doesn't yet have a "leave" command, you could use a house line on her, so that you can keep her with you when required.
You could also teach her to settle on a bed in the den/living room. If Girl is OK with it, you can give them both something tasty to chew/eat and settle them in different parts of the room.
tyr
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-05-2011, 03:17 PM
I agree with your mum that you need to protect your older dog from the boisterous youngster. My BSD is a bit like your new dog. She works herself into a complete frenzy and just doesn't respond to 'stop' signals from the other dogs. *sigh* So I have to step in and break the play up when it gets too much for my other dog. As you said, it's not funny for your older dog - she sounds very patient!

I think you just need to do a little more work on the 'lie down' command. I teach my dogs that they're to go to bed and stay there. Initially, if I send one dog to bed and it gets up again, I bring it back. And again. And again. I'm sure I brought the collie back about 50 times the first day. They do give up eventually.

However, once they've understood that they're to stay there, it makes things simple: you send them to bed and they know the game's over, so they relax and go for a snooze. And it's versatile - whenever you don't want dogs around (when you're eating, cleaning, cooking...) you tell your dogs to go to bed, and they tidy themselves.

As for the interactions between your dogs, gnawing the legs and crawling around on the floor sounds fine to me. Mine do that - they gently groom each other and very gently bite into each other's legs, like a very slow, lazy playfight. I wouldn't let them sit on each other or push each into a corner, though. Your youngster is probably just trying out 'what goes', and many dogs are very, very patient with that kind of behaviour - until they aren't!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 05:31 PM
what about a positive interruptor to distract them and get attention when playing too rough

and a 'go to your mat'