Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kellylou89
New Member!
Female 

20-05-2011, 01:13 PM

My 9month old

Hello, Basically my 9month old is been very odd with his food lately, we took in another pup the other week and they both get along brilliantly and are constantly playing!.
The thing is i have noticed with my 9month old vinnie he ignores his food when iused to feed him he would eat it so fast it didnt touch the sides lol, but know he seems too look at the pups food and walk off like he thinks maybe shes got something better OR i dont want food i want too play!.
He is fine in himself runs around after the puppy in the garden all the time, eats his bones fine and drinks he even waits for us too finish eating too see if theres anything left! (we dont allow him to beg, his in the kitchen when we eat but when were finished and put our plates in the kitchen hes looking too see if weve left anything when we scrape it in the bin lol).

Basically what i would like to know is what could this be? .. could it be him just wanting to play instead, or him thinking the puppy is having something better, or maybe his bored of the same food over and over?.
Theyre both on Winalot puppy and small bite puppy mixer (biscuits).
Vinnie is fed in the same room as the pup should i feed him then feed her or? any advice would be greatly appreciated!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 06:09 PM
How often is he fed?
Has his growing slowed down?
I expect it`s a coincidence tbh.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 06:13 PM
First of all make sure the dogs are not in a state of high arousal when feeding, eg let them calm down if they have been playing too much.

I do not believe in allowing huge amounts of out of control play, it can mean some dogs, especially of some breeds, become "adrenalin junkies" which can affect other areas of their lives; eg they are not in a position to relax, learn or eat.

I would also try feeding in separate rooms to see if that eases things.
kellylou89
New Member!
Female 

20-05-2011, 06:20 PM
He's growing fine and well, he's fed twice daily morning and 6pm, I fed him this evening and he ate fine, while my other was in her crate.
I think maybe he should be fed before the other wakes in the morn before he sees her and wants to play.
They're not overly playing a lot of the time they lye in the garden chilling out togethor lol, we always end play that gets too excitable accidents happen especially because they're both young
mistygrey
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-05-2011, 06:30 PM
That's great advice smokeybear. Lots of frenzied whizzing around and rough playing with other dogs impacts really negatively on pippy's overall behaviour. We are now trying to keep her far calmer while making sure she is still getting lots of walks/running/playing. There's also a couple of toys we've had to bin as they work her up into a real frenzy - a plastic string of sausages were the worst culprits!!!