Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ste
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-05-2011, 07:03 PM

Raw and Kibble

I would really like to start to feed my dogs raw, but have a few problems with this, my main problem is a supplier for the meat, (altho I have yet to talk to the village butcher) I live 50km from a supermarket, so getting meat daily or weekly is also not an option, I also don't have freezer space to stock up on months worth of meat for the dogs.
So really I guess my question is... is it ok to feed some raw and some kibble? Does anyone feed a mixed diet? Would feeding raw be ok for a dog with neurological problems?
Thanks
Steph
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 07:05 PM
i feed both with no probs
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by ste View Post
So really I guess my question is... is it ok to feed some raw and some kibble? Does anyone feed a mixed diet? Would feeding raw be ok for a dog with neurological problems?
Thanks
Steph

Yes, it is perfectly fine to feed a mixed diet, many people do it for a variety of reasons. You can choose to feed one meal raw and another kibble, or mix raw and kibble or really any variation you choose.

There are lots of wives tales about feeding raw, and many more about feeding a mix, but if you would like some further information, look here:

http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter...d-with-kibble/

HTH
ste
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-05-2011, 08:14 PM
Thanks very much for the link smokey bear.
Guess thats me switching to raw then
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 08:33 PM
I feed a mixed diet with my Kerries though not raw as it didn't agree with them. They have either home-cooked meals or kibble (Barking Heads). They have sensitive tummies and it doesn't cause them any problems.

Even though you can see they enjoy the home-cooked meals more they have never turned their noses up at the kibble!
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 09:10 PM
There are different thoughts on feeding raw and kibble together. There is no proof that feeding together causes any problems. A bit like us eating fruit and meat for dinner. Both are digested at different rates, but thats what we have stomach acid for.
I sometimes feed both. When I have any puppies her I feed 2 raw meals and 2 kibble meals on the same day with no problems.
ste
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-05-2011, 09:12 PM
I've been feeding home cooked for a while now, as Maisie (bc) was really fussy, and not eating kibble, she was already underdeveloped, and thin because of her neurological condition so I started adding other stuff to get her to eat. Both her and Jed eat with much more enthusiasm, and more importantly Maisie EATS!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 10:07 PM
I personally would never mix the two ... decide on one ... raw or kibble ... and stick with that.

If you read up properly on the reasons why you cannot do both you will understand why.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I personally would never mix the two ... decide on one ... raw or kibble ... and stick with that.

If you read up properly on the reasons why you cannot do both you will understand why.

Can you please reference the source of your information Gnasher, as I though I HAD read up on it properly!

You will note that the site link is run by someone with a PhD in nutrition.......................
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post

there are no reasons! you can and peeps do
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »