Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 09:01 AM

Chinese crested V Mexican Hairless.

I know that their two different breeds, but I have a few questions about them, and the hairlessness, and was hoping that someone will know the answers to them.

I know that with true hairless Chinese cresteds they can have stray hairs, does this also happen in the mexican hairless or not? And if so, do they have more or unwanted hair on average? And if they do is it removed the same way before a show?

Also I know that the true hairless CC can have bad dention, caused by the hairless gene, does the MH have the same problem for the same reason? And again if they do is it better or worse? Also if they don't is there any way that the Mexican hairless can be used into the gene pool to help improve the chinese crested in the way that the Pointer was crossed into the Dalmatian? I mean from what I know Fiona a LUA Dalmatian went to crufts, so although it took time the results seem to be what was desired, but then I suppose that if the MH has the same problem then it wouldn't work.

I'll probally have a few more questions a bit later, but I am intrested, I'd also like to know if they do have the same problems relating to the hairless gene whether people think its politics or because the CC is more common why the MH isn't as far as I know on the KC watch list or anything, or maybe they are, I can't remember, I remember reading 'I think' fifteen breeds, and I don't think that the MH was on there?
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 11:30 AM
as far as i know, the mexican hairless, do get bits of hair, and they are removed the same way a hairless cresteds is for a show too.

they need the same sort of thing, heat when its cold, suncream when its hot, dont want them burning

im not sure on the teeth, as ive never looked into a mexican hairless mouth.

as far as the genes go, i dont know how adding the mexican hairless would change the powderpuff, as both are born in a litter, you cant really add a mexican hairless to the breed without i presume, something detrimental happening to the powderpuff.
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-05-2011, 01:10 PM
Yes, xolo's do have dentition problems, but not the tusks that the cresties have. (I've a friend looking into getting one and I am hearing a lot about xolos whilst she's researching - she's away in the caravan at present so i can't get hold of her to check what the problems actually were but that much i do remember)

Xolo's have an extremely restricted gene pool themselves - I think they are one of the rarest breeds in the world - and also come in very different sizes to the crestie (they actually come in 3 sizes and even if you used the smallest size there is no guarantee that behind it aren't dogs of various different sizes. In the UK they are trying to get them to be registered as 1 breed, but for breeding purposes you can't have litters that cross the sizes).

You also get fully coated xolos (which is why those in breed in the UK want to change the name from mexican hairless, as not all of them are. You can show the full coats as well as the hairless).
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by KateM View Post
Yes, xolo's do have dentition problems, but not the tusks that the cresties have. (I've a friend looking into getting one and I am hearing a lot about xolos whilst she's researching - she's away in the caravan at present so i can't get hold of her to check what the problems actually were but that much i do remember)

Xolo's have an extremely restricted gene pool themselves - I think they are one of the rarest breeds in the world - and also come in very different sizes to the crestie (they actually come in 3 sizes and even if you used the smallest size there is no guarantee that behind it aren't dogs of various different sizes. In the UK they are trying to get them to be registered as 1 breed, but for breeding purposes you can't have litters that cross the sizes).

You also get fully coated xolos (which is why those in breed in the UK want to change the name from mexican hairless, as not all of them are. You can show the full coats as well as the hairless).
the ones with hair are quite cute too, but they only have a short coat dont they, not the long veil coat like the PP in cresteds.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the replies Clo and KateM .

Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
as far as i know, the mexican hairless, do get bits of hair, and they are removed the same way a hairless cresteds is for a show too.

they need the same sort of thing, heat when its cold, suncream when its hot, dont want them burning

im not sure on the teeth, as ive never looked into a mexican hairless mouth.

as far as the genes go, i dont know how adding the mexican hairless would change the powderpuff, as both are born in a litter, you cant really add a mexican hairless to the breed without i presume, something detrimental happening to the powderpuff.
Thanks, I do wonder then with regard to the coat why all the attention seems to be on the CC, whether its all numbers or what.

I'd seen the bigger ones in pics, but assumed that the smallest ones were a simalar size to the CC, but with that info I suppose that you could only really breed the females with male cresties, as if the wrong size was concieved I wouldn't want to know what could happen to a female CC.

Also are the people in the uk trying to get the breed name changed to the xolo name?

the ones with hair are quite cute too, but they only have a short coat dont they, not the long veil coat like the PP in cresteds.
I found this on the kennel club picture libary, I'm assuming that their both MH, but I'll be honest, I wouldn't know a hairy one unless I was told .

x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 02:44 PM
yeah thats a hairy one think cresteds are focused on more because there is more of them, and they fit the stereotype of handbag diva dogs...
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 03:02 PM
yeah thats a hairy one think cresteds are focused on more because there is more of them, and they fit the stereotype of handbag diva dogs...
Probally, to me though I would rather it be the same rules for everyone no matter how many there is
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Probally, to me though I would rather it be the same rules for everyone no matter how many there is
but its a higher profile breed, its just the way things go.
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-05-2011, 03:05 PM
Yes, a cm or so in length only, definatley not the amount of coat on a pp.

Originally Posted by chaz View Post
I'd seen the bigger ones in pics, but assumed that the smallest ones were a simalar size to the CC, but with that info I suppose that you could only really breed the females with male cresties, as if the wrong size was concieved I wouldn't want to know what could happen to a female CC.

Also are the people in the uk trying to get the breed name changed to the xolo name?
It's a bit more tricky than that - yes the smallest size (mini) would be similarish to a cc size wise, but behind the mini a few generations back could be dogs of a different size - also on the contient a dog can be born from two mini parents and go technically oversize to be a mini, rather than it being removed from the gene pool it is simply re-classified as a different size, so you'd have no way of knowing what size would come out - we've had this problem in the german spitz where this happens on the continent and it leads to all sorts of problems with breeding the correct size.

Yes, because haired ones are allowed they want the name changed to Xoloitzcuintli as they don't want to call them hairless when some of them aren't.

That said, as much as I wish them luck, the KC made us use Swedish Vallhund as they thought Vastgotaspets was too hard for people to cope with, so I don't think they'll be successful.

UK xolo club... http://www.mexicanhairlessclub.org.uk
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 03:10 PM
but its a higher profile breed, its just the way things go.
Suppose, I would of just thought that it would be easier to treat all the same, because at least then everyone should be clear on where the ground lies.

Yes, a cm or so in length only, definatley not the amount of coat on a pp.

It's a bit more tricky than that - yes the smallest size (mini) would be similarish to a cc size wise, but behind the mini a few generations back could be dogs of a different size - also on the contient a dog can be born from two mini parents and go technically oversize to be a mini, rather than it being removed from the gene pool it is simply re-classified as a different size, so you'd have no way of knowing what size would come out - we've had this problem in the german spitz where this happens on the continent and it leads to all sorts of problems with breeding the correct size.

Now thats just too confusing lol, I bet the breeders where this has happened are happy ones.

Yes, because haired ones are allowed they want the name changed to Xoloitzcuintli as they don't want to call them hairless when some of them aren't.

That said, as much as I wish them luck, the KC made us use Swedish Vallhund as they thought Vastgotaspets was too hard for people to cope with, so I don't think they'll be successful.
I wouldn't have any clue at all how to say it lol, but there is the Kooikerhondje which is a bit of a mouthful so there may be some hope