Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jojo2526
New Member!
Female 

15-05-2011, 01:37 AM

Canine labour

hi my name is jo and i have a 4 year old staffy cross collie and she is pregnant with her first litter, i think she is about 8 weeks gone but not a 100% sure, she has been panting alot for the last few days and drinking alot, she cant get comfortable and has milk coming from her teets, she hasnt gone off her food though, would anyone be able to tell me teh signs of labour and if there is a possibility that my dog may go into labour soon or not ?

thanks
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2011, 06:15 AM
What does your vet say? Pregnancy lasts for around 63 days in a dog.
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2011, 06:21 AM
When was she mated,if in any doubt about how she is progressing you must ring your vet
jojo2526
New Member!
Female 

15-05-2011, 11:41 AM
she was bred between 12th march to the 19th march
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2011, 12:32 PM
I am sitting by my whelping box right now. My girl was mated first time on the 14th March and her due date is tomorrow 16th May.
Dogs don't always go off their food.

Usual first signs are panting digging in her bedding and restlessness.
My girl is doing all these things now and I expect she will have her litter in the next 24 hours.

She will start straining as it gets closer not lying down but more front end pointing up like a seal.

If there is doubt or you feel she has been straining for a while with out anything happening call your vet.
Is there anyone who is more experienced you could call on for advice.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2011, 02:26 PM
As I said in another thread the problem is the signs are different in different bitches. Most bitches scratch up to make a bed,tend to stop eating, then their temperature goes down they lie down & pant & then the puppies are born, but some bitches don't do these things. They are all different. I even had one who insisted on standing to have her puppies. I had to catch each one & she had 13. I have never had a bitch be sick but crazycockers says most of her bitches are. I have always said the drop in temperature is what I used to go on but have even heard of bitches where this does not happen.Had one bitch who had her litter straight after a large meal & didn't even pant much & no straining they just popped out. Personally I'd warn your vets so they know you may need help. Can the stud dogs owner give you any help?
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 11:30 AM
well mine arrived early hours Monday morning have your come yet?