Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murv
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-05-2011, 12:06 PM

Stopping dogs attacking?

Maisey, our rescue who we got a week ago today was viciously attacked by two large German shepherds this morning.
She was on the flexi lead, when they ran over, I didn't expect any problems until the GSD threw at her throat, flipped her onto the ground and then they both started biting at her.

Sorry to say I kept screaming and shouting at them and kicking them as hard as I could to keep them off and saved her from serious injury until the doughbag owner finally caught up and got them off.

So, is there any way to deter vicious dogs hell bent on attacking? would a water pistol have done it?

Thanks in advance of any advice

Chris
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2011, 12:11 PM
Lemon or citronella spray - maize spray doesn't bother dogs, police dog handlers use it all the time and even in close quarters it doesn't affect the dogs.

I'm not sure what pepper spray would be like...

Other than that - when a strange dog encounters yours and you don't know it - you could stand in front of your dog and protect it that way..

So sorry to hear that this happened to you, hope Maisey is OK
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2011, 12:25 PM
Oh God, how awful must that have been for you and your poor dog I'm fed up to the back teeth of these out of control aggressive bladdy dogs running riot, it's about time something was done, get the owners fined heavily or something, it might put a stop to all this.

I hope your dog is going to be ok coz shepherds have a serious bite if they mean business!

What I do now, everytime I see a strange dog heading our way, is make my dog sit beside me, slightly behind, ONlead, and I'm there in the front, giving it the "eye" and so is my dog, and thankfully, 9 times out of 10 they've stopped short of us, turned around and headed off back to where they came from. Only the friendly ones have dared to approach us now, and they always lay down in front of us and go in the submissive upside down position, so something's working for us.

I used to have a short lead, which had a very thick, metal chain/spring shaped short length, at the other end, which would be a good weapon to have for emergencies like this, coz in all honestly, those two sheps could have killed your dog no probs!

The trouble with the sprays and suchlike is, you've got to be very accurate to get the right dog, coz it's all happening so fast, it's very, very scarey (been there myself and got my leg bitten!), and you could be fumbling about with a spray and end up spraying your own dog, thereby, increasing the risk of it getting even more hurt. I just don't know the answer, but I do know how you must feel. Good luck with your poor innocent dog!

I have found terriers to be the worst, they just don't like my big dog, shepherds we never have a problem with thank goodness!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2011, 12:37 PM
Oh I am so sorry, hope you are both OK
It really is difficult to know what is best, deff dropping the lead helps give your dog a chance - although there is the risk there of them running off

tbh unless I know its a friendly dog now I just keep right away - Mia has been attacked too many times (and standing infront of her just got my leg bit too )
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2011, 02:27 PM
I'm sorry this happened to you and I hope you and your dog are both ok.

A dog that's hell bent on attacking isn't stopped by punches, kicks or even being half strangled. At least the ones I've encountered weren't deterred by those things. Only encountered two of them and thankfully both were seperate incidents rather than both dogs attacking at once. They didn't even notice being squirted in the face with lemon juice as they ran in. They just kept going and going no matter what I did and had to be dragged away by their owners. One was quite badly hurt by Rupert and even that didn't bother it.

Thankfully most dogs I've encountered haven't been as determined to kill my dog as that one and I've found putting myself between them and Rupert and telling them firmly to go away or sit works fairly well.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2011, 02:41 PM
I'm so sorry that this has happened, I hope that Maisey was not too badly injured and that you are both getting over the stress.

As has already been mentioned, letting go of the lead is a bit of a gamble, Maisey could have got away but could have panicked and run across a road and been hit by a car. I personally would resist the urge to drop a flexi lead though as if she ran, it would bounce along behind her and could give her quite a wallop.

I have deterred aggressive approaching dogs by shouting at them, stamping towards them and by using a pet corrector spray. As has already been said though, sadly there is not a lot that is going to put off a dog that is intent on attacking though.
Anjulian
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-05-2011, 02:59 PM
Hoping that Maisey wasnt hurt too badly. What a scarey thing to happen. I have a GSD and he was attacked by a lurcher, and it was one that he knew,this same dog lunges at him any time we meet even now 8 months later. Mine wasnt hurt,the lurcher only got a mouthful of hair from his rump. The only other experience of such dreadful behavoir was from 2x jack russels who kept trying to bite another GSD that I had years ago,the owner thought it was funny and laughed,they were going under his legs and jumping up at him.He did not react,just as well as could have killed them easily. I do not think a water pistol would do much good,you would need quite a few gallons of water to have any effect. Perhaps you should go walking with a walking stick ( disguised as a weapon ) Is she ok now? I do hope she just forgets all about it soon.
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-05-2011, 03:39 PM
I havent got anything to add other than say I hope you are both feeling better by now, and that Maisey isnt hurt to much, poor girl.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2011, 04:06 PM
Hope Maisey is ok? Healing vibes from us xxxxx
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2011, 04:52 PM
Poor Maisey and poor you - it must have been very frightening. Difficult to know what to do in that situation as it does happen so fast and as others have said if a dog is intent on attacking it would be very difficult to stop it. Take that walking stick for your limp

Hope Maisey is not hurt badly and soon recovers from her ordeal.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >