Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

02-05-2011, 08:50 PM

Natural anti inflammatory for dogs

Anyone used any natural anti-inflammatories for dogs?

Devils Claw is meant to be good for humans - wonder if it's ok for dogs? Any others worth looking at?
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-05-2011, 08:57 PM
Yucca???
Never tried it but read about it when looking for ideas to control ozzies hip pain ...
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2011, 08:58 PM
Ginger
Turmeric
Devils Claw
Fish Body Oils
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2011, 10:39 PM
Ive used arnica in the past with good results.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2011, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Anyone used any natural anti-inflammatories for dogs?

Devils Claw is meant to be good for humans - wonder if it's ok for dogs? Any others worth looking at?
i saw devils claw at a pet shop where they had loads of natural remedies for dogs.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2011, 08:38 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Ginger
Turmeric
Devils Claw
Fish Body Oils

SMOKEY BEAR is it OK then to just add a bit of turmeric to a dog's normal food? Any advice re how often and how much?

Many thanks indeed!!
Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-05-2011, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
SMOKEY BEAR is it OK then to just add a bit of turmeric to a dog's normal food? Any advice re how often and how much?

Many thanks indeed!!
We buy the Curcumin (active ingredient in Tumeric) capsules and give Storm one in his food every couple of days with no ill effects. Apparently the amount of Curcumin in powdered Tumeric is only about 4%. So, the capsules are preferred instead. They are quite expensive though, at about £28 (inc p&p) for 180. But, they are very good quality and meant to be much more bioavailable than the cheaper ones.

Curcumin has many health benefits (including anti inflamatory, anti cancer etc) for animals and humans alike. So, Storm, the ratties and us take it, though it works out very expensive!!

Also, if you add Black Pepper to food when taking Curcumin/Tumeric, it enhances the bio-availabilty (sp?) loads!

Sorry for double post....Meant to quote Tabitha's reply with answer first time!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2011, 09:32 AM
I used Devil's Claw with my last GSD who had bad hip dysplasia and I do believe it helped her out in her last few months I'd happily use it again
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2011, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post

Many thanks indeed!!

Well no, you really need to give Turmeric capsules, Healthspan do them (no I am not an agent) they contain 500mg of standardised extract ie 95% curcumin this is equivalent of 10,000mg of root powder, I am sure you would not want to put THAT much turmeric on your dog's food!
Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-05-2011, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Well no, you really need to give Turmeric capsules, Healthspan do them (no I am not an agent) they contain 500mg of standardised extract ie 95% curcumin this is equivalent of 10,000mg of root powder, I am sure you would not want to put THAT much turmeric on your dog's food!
That's what I get, though not from the same company. Will have to look into that, as they should be cheaper from Healthspan.

Storm has one capsule every other day.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >