Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2011, 10:15 AM

What chance does this dog have.

A seven year old American Bulldog might need rehoming because of circumstanes, it wont be a easy desicion but what chances do you think he has.

I've not met the dog, but apparently he's very dog aggressive, to anything, and so bad that the police have been involved, not a little bit, mega, and people say that they don't trust him.

Apparently other then that he is friendly, but will go for males if theres arguments, he lives with kids, but other people don't really trust him around theres.

Now seriously what chance do you think this dog would have, I've said if they do have to rehome him (and there is circumstances where now the people need help, its not your average person wanting rid), I've said that I will help if I can, but not to put him free or cheap in the local paper, but try to find someone you know and trust who might be able to help find a home through friends or something, I can't have him, I have six reasons why not, and a small flat, and if it came to it, how many rescues would actually take on this dog I'm thinking not really a lot, espcailly as everywheres full, I mean who would really take on a dog like this when there could be a younger friendlier one waiting for a place?

I must say, although I've not said this to the owners, that a dog like this, would probally be better off pts with the owners if they can't find a new home, so that he's with people who love him, and doesn't have to wait in kennels for what could turn out to be the same thing, but even thinking that about this dog makes me feel guilty when I went home and got cuddles of mine, but in reality what chances do you think this dog has? If they do end up having to rehome I'll help in anyway I can, but when others are saying the same thing, what's the chance do you think of this dog getting a forever home now?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-04-2011, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
A seven year old American Bulldog might need rehoming because of circumstanes, it wont be a easy desicion but what chances do you think he has.

I've not met the dog, but apparently he's very dog aggressive, to anything, and so bad that the police have been involved, not a little bit, mega, and people say that they don't trust him.

Apparently other then that he is friendly, but will go for males if theres arguments, he lives with kids, but other people don't really trust him around theres.

Now seriously what chance do you think this dog would have, I've said if they do have to rehome him (and there is circumstances where now the people need help, its not your average person wanting rid), I've said that I will help if I can, but not to put him free or cheap in the local paper, but try to find someone you know and trust who might be able to help find a home through friends or something, I can't have him, I have six reasons why not, and a small flat, and if it came to it, how many rescues would actually take on this dog I'm thinking not really a lot, espcailly as everywheres full, I mean who would really take on a dog like this when there could be a younger friendlier one waiting for a place?

I must say, although I've not said this to the owners, that a dog like this, would probally be better off pts with the owners if they can't find a new home, so that he's with people who love him, and doesn't have to wait in kennels for what could turn out to be the same thing, but even thinking that about this dog makes me feel guilty when I went home and got cuddles of mine, but in reality what chances do you think this dog has? If they do end up having to rehome I'll help in anyway I can, but when others are saying the same thing, what's the chance do you think of this dog getting a forever home now?
If he was my dog, he woudl be PTS,
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2011, 10:23 AM
Okay, taking the "poor dog, not his fault, deed not breed, blah blah blah" out of the equation, let us focus on the problem.

1 Any future owner would not be able to have pet insurance for him.

2 It would be irresponsible to rehome with children, or probably men unless they are quiet on the info given

3 at 7 years old he has rehearsed these behaviours for a very very long time.

4 Finally, the best hope for this dog is to find an enthusiast who lives on their own and does not have or need access to other people or dogs.

Have you contacted the American Bulldog Breed Clubs, they are probably your best bet.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2011, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
If he was my dog, he woudl be PTS,
Have to say, although it sounds horrid I think I would too, as at least then I would know where he is.

Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Okay, taking the "poor dog, not his fault, deed not breed, blah blah blah" out of the equation, let us focus on the problem.

1 Any future owner would not be able to have pet insurance for him.

2 It would be irresponsible to rehome with children, or probably men unless they are quiet on the info given

3 at 7 years old he has rehearsed these behaviours for a very very long time.

4 Finally, the best hope for this dog is to find an enthusiast who lives on their own and does not have or need access to other people or dogs.

Have you contacted the American Bulldog Breed Clubs, they are probably your best bet.
Tbh I haven't contacted them yet, as I'm still waiting for them to say that they are def getting rid, but when they do breed rescues would be my first point of call, as I too think that they would be the best place for him, as I think that someone who might be able to give him a home would be more likely to go to there, and they would/should have a better understanding of him then the local dogs home, but I have to say even when it eventaully gets to it, I'm not sure that even they can help, but theres always hope, no matter how small.
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2011, 11:20 AM
Nawww. Thats a lot of problems for one dog..... its only chance would be in a specific breed rescue I would imagine.