Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2011, 01:11 PM

I get to help with a baby deaf Husky!!!

I was contacted by a dog trainer friend of mine to see if I would help a couple out with their new Husky!

Wynter is three months old and pure white, they discovered he was deaf after 2 weeks! They already have one husky, so are comfortable with the breed. I am really, truly excited to get to work with and help out a deaf dog that isn't mine!!!

I will get pics, as this puppy has to be completely adorable! Scout, Mouse, Boo and I are meeting them at the vigil for the 100 slain huskies this afternoon (It was supposed to be a last month, but it was -35C that day) So there'll be some sad mixed in with the excited
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-04-2011, 01:44 PM
Sounds great, and very exciting. And I'm sure the new owners will appreciate all the help, and experience that you can give them.

Does the vi in your owned by section mean visually impaired? How do you go about training/dealing with a dog who cant hear you and can see little? Sorry I know it's off on a tangent but I'm really curious how you give these dogs a life, when most other will have them PTS. I think it's a fantastic thing you are doing.
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2011, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by SarahJade View Post
Sounds great, and very exciting. And I'm sure the new owners will appreciate all the help, and experience that you can give them.

Does the vi in your owned by section mean visually impaired? How do you go about training/dealing with a dog who cant hear you and can see little? Sorry I know it's off on a tangent but I'm really curious how you give these dogs a life, when most other will have them PTS. I think it's a fantastic thing you are doing.
Well, my dogs can see functionally, for the most part, but I have to make their hand signals large, and very distinctive. Mouse can see ok out of one eye in low light, but is very sensitive to bright light, so will squint. She doesn't see well out of her other eye at all. She also cant take sudden changes in light levels, so I tend to walk around in the dark alot if I turn on a light, she's mostly blind for 5-10 minutes, and that sucks for her. Boo is nearsighted, but if his signs are close to him, he's fine. Both see ghosts though! LOL

I find I get more focus from my deafies than my hearing dogs, as there's less distractions. the Dachshunds cant go off leash, as, like any self respecting hound, they get on a scent and follow it. Scout, however has been trained to check back constantly, and has 100% recall. if she see's me call her, she will come, every time, no matter what. she doesn't go far, and looks back at me every 10 seconds or so (It's fun to be called back, as she usually will get a cookie, then get to go play again!)

I adore deaf dogs, I find them easier in almost every way, though I do have to make some consessions to the deafness, it's rare that I even think about it. Dogs rely less on hearing than sight, and deafness really isn't a disability to them.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

23-04-2011, 05:52 PM
Sara, what you are doing is great, and now you'll be working with a Husky, they are such lovely dogs. I wish i could do what you do, I'm finding that more and more I want to help dogs and as you say they never really think they have a problem, they just get on with their lives.
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2011, 12:58 AM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Sara, what you are doing is great, and now you'll be working with a Husky, they are such lovely dogs. I wish i could do what you do, I'm finding that more and more I want to help dogs and as you say they never really think they have a problem, they just get on with their lives.
Thanks! And yes, they certainly do just get on with living. Mouse is deaf, mostly blind in one eye, nearsighted in the other, extremely light sensitive, missing half a back foot, and allergic to metal... yet she is one of the happiest, silliest dogs I know... If a human had those problems, there'd likely be nothing but "poor me's", and complaints. Dogs are incredible.

I just got back from the walk for 100. what an incredible day! The puppy is ADORABLE!!! She's such a sweet, calm, good natured dog. Nothing phases her, she's well loved and well knows it! She takes everything in her stride. This was her second walk out, being 14 weeks and didn't even make it a quarter of the way around. But she was perfectly content being carried in a back pack for the rest of the way... Mouse made it a little further than Wynter, before getting sore, and needing in her back pack LOL. Scout, Mouse, Boo, Wynter, and Kiya (Wynter's hearing husky big sister) all socialized extremely well with people and dogs alike. Scout showed off for a crowd, and Kiya even politely took a lick off someone's ice cream cone! and sang her thanks! LOL

We even got interviewed for the local cable channel!

Pictures will be up shortly in the picture section
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

24-04-2011, 09:28 PM
Thanks Sara - I will keep an eye out for the pictures.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2011, 09:31 PM
I'm really pleased that you will be able to work with and help Wynter. I look forward to seeing the pictures!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2011, 10:39 PM
Thats brilliant you are a very special person
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2011, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Thanks Sara - I will keep an eye out for the pictures.

Originally Posted by majuka View Post
I'm really pleased that you will be able to work with and help Wynter. I look forward to seeing the pictures!
Wynter doesn't need much help. Her owners just needed a little confidence. She's doing well, except in the house training dept.

Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Thats brilliant you are a very special person
I'm not special , I just like deaf dogs best! and there;s not many around, so I get really excited when I meet a new one
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-04-2011, 12:08 PM
That's great Sara I am sure you will be able to offer lots of good advice and support with the puppy .