Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2011, 08:30 AM

Wainwright's tinned food

Has anyone tried this, and does anyone know if it contains any nasties?

I've been giving Butchers tripe and mixer for breakfast, but have been told it contains a chemically manufactured vitamin E, which is banned in human food as is can cause hyperactivity. Not really something I want to encourage in Jake!

I've been looking at JWB pouches, as they have dry JWB for tea, but I think pouches might be a bit expensive.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

16-04-2011, 09:02 AM
I found this link. This comes in trays as far as I am aware if they have started doing it in tins wouldn't imagine it would be any different.

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/wainw...-12-pack-27697
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2011, 09:25 AM
The tins are fine - ive used them altho i prefer the trays, Harvey sees no difference & gobbles both with equal enthusiasm

As to Butchers, he gets that at present with his kibble & ive not noticed any change in behaviour He is still his usual laid back self I got a big tray of it on special offer - their tripe mix.

Wainwrights trays are good as theyre mild & gentle. If i forget to soak his kibble, which i have on occasion, i can give him Wainwrights tray on their own with nO problems, not many foods you can swop & change like that.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2011, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
If i forget to soak his kibble, which i have on occasion, i can give him Wainwrights tray on their own with nO problems, not many foods you can swop & change like that.
Can I just ask why you soak his kibble? I hate asking stuff on here incase people take it the wrong way.
I have heard a few owners say they have this dry food or that and they soak it, and never known why. Am I missing something?
My lad has dust allergies so has his dry food with a bit of water on it, but if it's left and goes soggy he wont touch it.

I normally feed the nutradiet (I think it's called) trays, but heard about the wainwrights on here so went to get them and realised he had them before and enjoyed them. We also have some tins but he's only had one so far, as he has been quite ill since. We only give a little bit with each meal, mixed with some water so it's more of a gravy and not really had a problem swapping between any of these great (IMO) products.
We got the fish tins and were very happy with the ingredients.
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2011, 09:56 AM
The whole Wainwrights brand is better than Butchers, i think they have the same ingredients but i've never used it as it's more expensive than the trays (not by much though)
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Thanks all, I think we'll give Wainwright's a go - mild and gentle is what we want

IRT SarahJade, I add a bit of warm water to their dry food (but not soak it as such), as it makes it smell much more appetising. Also, Simon struggles with dry food, sort of starts snorting, so a bit of warm water helps it go down easier.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2011, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by SarahJade View Post
Can I just ask why you soak his kibble? I hate asking stuff on here incase people take it the wrong way..

Two reasons - first one is Harvey has had dry kibble twice in his life & on both occasions he has bloated! That is too much of a co-incidence in my book

Second reason - my main reason for soaking. The food manufacturers will tell you, quite rightly so, to always have drinking water freely available & allow free drinking.

Soaked the food goes into the gut as it is, all the gut needs to do is process it.*

Dry kibble goes into the gut & absorbs moisture that is in the gut - hence the reason you must allow the dog free access to water so that the dog can keep drinking in order for the dry food in the gut to soak the fluid & allow it to expand "in" the gut! *Some dry foods absorb fluid at different rates - you only have to soak them first to find that out so the rate at how the gut can process the dry kibble varies & while it is soaking up fluid in the gut, the gut is trying to process it which of course it cant, until the dry kibble has soaked up enough fluid

Therefore to help the gut function at maximum efficency it is simple to pre-soak the food first

Now you will get the argument that the hard crunchy food cleans the teeth however there are other ways to keep the teeth in good order, raw meaty marrow/knuckle bones for*
one which is what ours get.*

At his yearly check up (booster) 2 weeks ago the vet was*very complimentry about Harvey in general & his teeth!*

In all the years we have had Boxers/Labs, none have ever needed dental work
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2011, 07:15 PM
That is quite interesting, and obvious but something which I have over looked. So many dogs are fed on dry food, I just assumed that it was ok and would be the best way to feed.
I have noticed his stomach bloat when he has a big meal, we often reduce his portions to account for the food he gets while training, so rarely gets a full meal.

My lad has loads of other things to chew on which helps to clean his teeth, I'm about to start introducing a toothbrush after he is finished with his latest sickness thing...

I think I have said that he has water added, mixed with a little of the wainwrights or other tray food, for allergies. Do you think this is ok? Or better completely soaked. I could do it and encourage him to eat it? Or do you think he is ok as he is?

I have always thought that he doesn't drink as much as I would like, and his urine is always strong, but the more water I add to his food the less he drinks. The vet has always said he would drink as much as he needs.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2011, 08:35 AM
I used to use Wainwrights Trays and found it really good value for money.

One word of caution though - avoid the Wainwrights *pouches*. It's the same food virtually as the trays BUT far more expensive as they present it as a 'mixer'. I was so bemused I phoned PAH and their very helpful sales woman admitted that it makes no sense to buy the pouches!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2011, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by SarahJade View Post
I have noticed his stomach bloat

I think I have said that he has water added, mixed with a little of the wainwrights or other tray food, for allergies. Do you think this is ok? Or better completely soaked. I could do it and encourage him to eat it? Or do you think he is ok as.
What your boys tummy does when his tummy bloats sounds like a form of indigestion. When Harvey bloats - it is Gastric Torsion - which is a serious condition

If your boy is happy & has no problems how you feed him, theres no reason to change it theres the old saying - why mend it if it doesnt need fixed. If he was getting a lot of digestive problems, the pre-soaking is something you could consider & split the meal into 2-3 smaller meals per day - gives the digestion little to work on at any given time.

One of the golden rules with dogs who are prone to bloat/gastric torsion is not to feed the dog an hour before or an hour after exercise/training - i think this is quite sensible for all dogs.*

Many years ago we had a Boxer bloat (gastric torsion) & nearly lost him & ever since that we have followed the rule about not feeding an hour before or an hour after exercise

A toothbrush is good if they allow you to do it
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >