Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kirsty1978
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-04-2011, 08:47 AM

Walk in the cattle field

any idea what the lurcher is a cross with, he was a rescue dog been in kennels since he was born for 6 months and hes a bloody nightmare lol take mine along hoping he might learn some good things from them, hes a very dominant dog, but i cant help but fall in love with him his face is beautiful
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2011, 10:23 AM
Great pics, I thought the lurcher had Suluki (sp) in it TBH.

Loved the horses too xxxxxxxxxxx
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2011, 10:33 AM
I thought Saluki too, got to say though your braver then me walking near them cows.

Heres a bit of info about smooth coated Salukis, as yours doesn't have fringes it may be easier to compare your dog to the Saluki .

http://www.saluki.ru/kjara-e.htm
kirsty1978
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-04-2011, 11:32 AM
yeah we thought maybe sloughi?? the cattle are fine the ginger one runs about a bit when u arrive with the food she loves her parsnips, but they stay there while ur walking the dogs there more interested in food
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2011, 11:47 AM
I don't know about Sloughis really, there doesn't seem to be a lot about, and haven't heard about a Sloughi Lurcher or Longdog, but someone will probally know more about them, but I would be more inclinded to say Saluki, maybe with Greyhound but I'm not sure, but that mix seems to be around a bit.
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2011, 05:48 PM
Bless 'em Looks like they were all having fun Thanks for sharing x
HiHoSilver
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-04-2011, 10:43 PM
The ear set is wrong for a sloughi and the length of the ear not quite right for a pure saluki,also the topline's not right,both breeds have prominent pin bones,while this lovely boy has a rounded back end from a touch I suspect of whippet.
HiHoSilver
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-04-2011, 01:06 PM
Just to be sure I sent the pics to a saluki and sloughi breeder/judge friend last night.
He concurred and pointed out a few more things,pasterns,lay of shoulder and musculature, but he thought the 1/4 or 1/8 to be greyhound.I'd go with his opinion on that as this man's masters degree was in canines.What he doesn't know about sighthounds he's still learning!
He also agreed with me that this is a beautiful hound.
kirsty1978
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-04-2011, 01:27 PM
thanks for that, yes he is beautiful but hes a very naughty boy, very dominant and has SA, if he takes something he shouldnt have and u try and take it away he goes for u, he was in kennels for the first 6 months of his life and hes now living on a chicken farm, probably not the best place for a prey dog to be lol, he is well behaved for a few weeks then he goes back to his old ways, then hes ok again, he shows no emotion when u praise him or when u tell him off, but to look at he is so handsome
HiHoSilver
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-04-2011, 03:16 PM
That's all classic saluki behaviour!
They did a good job on him in the rescue kennels,he sounds (for his type) a very well adjusted hound. Salukis improperly reared can be a nightmare.
The threatening behaviour is not good though,I'd look into ways of training him out of that.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >