Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2005, 11:51 AM

Benji is biting his tail a lot!

Benji has been nibbling at his tail a lot these last few days and when I looked yesterday the underside of his tail looks quite sore (the bit attached to this body) I am thinking that it may be his anal glands that need emptying or does anyone else have any suggestions why he might be doing this

I booked him in the vets last Thursday and we have an appointment tonight (which he will simply hate )

I was also wondering if anyone had ever had cyclesporin (sp) prescribed from their vets. I know it is an expensive drug (how expensive though I am not too sure) and my dog groomer uses it for her dog (a GSD) because he has an allergy which he rubs his face a lot and she said it was brilliant. I was wondering if I should ask (if its not too expensive) if we could try Benji on it for a month to see if it works for him
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2005, 11:53 AM
Foxy, just a thought, are you up to date with worming?

I hope Benji gets better soon, whatever it is
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2005, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by tuti
Foxy, just a thought, are you up to date with worming?

I hope Benji gets better soon, whatever it is
Hi tuti,

Yes he was wormed on the 11th of May with Drontal plus from the vets, so that is only two months ago
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2005, 12:08 PM
Hey foxy the first thing that came into my head was his anal glads, they may well need emptying if he is doing this, does he normally need them emptying? as he maybe biting his tail because he cant reach his bum? aw poor little fella he does seem to get quite alot of problems and with his skin well you will soon find out today, could it not be his skin on the tail that is annoying him? eczema? let us know how he gets on xx
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2005, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by ZoeH
Hey fozy the first thing that came into my head was his anal glads, they may well need emptying if he is doing this, does he normally need them emptying? as he maybe biting his tail because he cant reach his bum? aw poor little fella he does seem to get quite alot of problems and with his skin well you will soon find out today, could it not be his skin on te tail that is annoying him? eczema? let us know how he gets on xx

Hi Zoe,

Yes he does seem to need them emptying every few months or so so it may just be that because I haven't noticed him biting his tail before the end of last week. He also scooted along the floor on his bum once so thats supposed to be a sign that they are full isn't it?

He is absolutely knackered today because we took him to my sisters and him and Toby (my sisters Bichon) never stopped running round together and play-fighting, they had a brilliant time and he wasn't keen on going for a walk last night because he was too tired
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2005, 12:28 PM
Hi Foxy, sorry to hear about naughty Benji biting his tail now instead of scratchin' them ears! Now, Georgie does this on the upper side of his tail usually and a hot spot erupts and I have to get the Fuc*derm cream out, it is fantastic and stops it in it's tracks. Can you ask the vet about whether you can use it on the underside so near to his an*s? (sorry, but had to call it that!). Ask him about Fuciderm anyway Foxy, as it is a steroid based cream and I swear by it. You have to use it for the full 7 days on the same spot as it is also an anti-biotic cream. Ask him about it, I'm sure he would recommend it, but I have not heard of the other stuff you mention, maybe it's similar? Good luck with him at the vets poor boy.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2005, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54
Hi Foxy, sorry to hear about naughty Benji biting his tail now instead of scratchin' them ears! Now, Georgie does this on the upper side of his tail usually and a hot spot erupts and I have to get the Fuc*derm cream out, it is fantastic and stops it in it's tracks. Can you ask the vet about whether you can use it on the underside so near to his an*s? (sorry, but had to call it that!). Ask him about Fuciderm anyway Foxy, as it is a steroid based cream and I swear by it. You have to use it for the full 7 days on the same spot as it is also an anti-biotic cream. Ask him about it, I'm sure he would recommend it, but I have not heard of the other stuff you mention, maybe it's similar? Good luck with him at the vets poor boy.
Hi Helen,

I think he will probably stop biting his tail when his glands are emptied (if that is what is wrong) I have put a bit of sudocrem on it to soothe it last night.
He is still scratching his ears a lot though

The cyclesporin is a tablet I think which is meant to have good results in treating auto-immune diseases including skin conditions. I have heard it is very expensive though Claire, my dog groomer uses it for her GSD but the dog is insured and I think she says it costs £160 a month at her vets
Although Benji won't need as much of it as a GSD but I suppose it will still be quite pricey
Kimbles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2005, 01:04 PM
aww no poor benji ,, sorry he is under the weather again hun,, poor baby
maybe it is his anal glands, i think bonnie may need hers emptying too,, yuk,, will have to get in touch with the vet.
let us know how benji gets on at the vet tonight,, bonnie sends him bug (((((((hugs)))))))) and kisses :smt008

kimberley x x x
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-07-2005, 01:35 PM
Hi Foxy, sounds like Anal glands, when they get full they swell and irritate, poor little chap..i
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2005, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
Hi Foxy, sounds like Anal glands, when they get full they swell and irritate, poor little chap..i

Thanks Mini, yes I hope that's all it is I will post tonight and let everyone know what the vet says
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >