Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 05:46 PM

So pleased with Alfie today!

Alfie has had some issues with running to any dog he feels like, he has been attacked twice now (about a month ago by a lab X and last week by a greyhound), does this stop him running over to see them? No.

I have been doing some full on training with him about this, since about a week or 2 ago, so not very long.
Yesterday at the park he runs the entiiiiiiiire length to see a dog (I knew the dog but that isn't the point).

Today.... he was perfect....
He was off lead wandering about, I see a woman with a bullmastiff and a white german shepherd both on lead (remember I said I never see GSDs? Today I saw 3.. ), so I put Alfie back on his lead no worries.... he did as he was told (I over-heard her talking and turns out the BM was only a year old and just didn't know his own size yet ), so went a bit further and round the corner and let him off, and EVERY dog he went to see he came back as sooooooooon as I shouted him. It isn't unusual for him to do this with a few dogs, but not all.......

We saw a collie and I didn't realise it was on lead, but as alfie got close it stared at him, and he watched it, but walked past it.

He was playing in the woods and ran over to see two dogs by the edge of the water, but when he got down (only about 10 feet away), he realised it was a greyhound (it was a greyhound that went for him last week), and he put his tail down and didn't go near it and came straight back over. This one seemed fine but he didn't seem happy about seeing it at all so left it alone without "meeting" it.

A bit up the track we see 3 horses, so I tell him to wait and put his lead on, and walked past them and he ignored them... awesome.

Let him off again, then I spotted an Akita but was on lead so I called alfie, told him to wait and put his lead on, again no fuss. He ignored it as we walked past (the woman had grabbed the akitas collar at this point too so glad alfie was on the lead lol).

Then a while up he was off lead and IGNORED an off lead dog while it walked past him (Whatttttttt?!?!!).

He ran up to an on-lead terrier, well he went up to it as it appeared round the corner, and I said leave it and come on, and he did....

By this point I am thinking someone has either drugged or swapped my dog....

Then at the end we saw a dog, I am thinking lab X rottie? It was the build and eyes of a rottie, but definately labrador too, and it was tethered to a large rock (there was guys fishing a bit down from it) and it was lying down but "focussed" on alfie. Alfie has spotted it, but I told him to wait, and he did and so I put his lead on and we gave it space and went to the water a bit away... but as we were coming back up he stood up wagging its tail like it wanted to say hi, so i let him over to sniff, and then said come on, and we went just up the road and back to the car.

Whether it was the fright of seeing the other greyhound that made him slightly more wary? Who knows.
Will he be like this on every walk? I doubt it - but was so happy after today!!
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 06:03 PM
Oh well done Alfie - makes the walks so much more relaxing. Don't uou see a lot of people and dogs while you are out - I can walk for miles and not see a soul
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 07:08 PM
Yeah it was so lovely!
I am hoping this is the start of his new behaviour, not just a fluke
emma47
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 09:00 PM
Well done Alfie! Sounds like you both had a great walk
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 09:28 PM
Thank you - it was lovely
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 04:47 PM
Went to the same place today and he was kinda good today too!
I say kinda as he was playing in the water happily ignoring everyone around, and THEN when he was soaking decided to go and wander over some ones rug to see them despite me calling him....

I said sorry and the lady laughed and said he was cute and it was alright. I put him back on his lead at this point and he didn't get off again for a bit. Norty puppy.

Yet he ignored a couple of dogs as I had him focussed on me instead as they walked past!

So mostly good today too...