Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2011, 04:58 PM

When it's time to say goodbye ... a reflection

A PET'S TEN COMMANDMENTS:

1. My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Any separation
from you is likely to be painful.

2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.

3. Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well-being.

4. Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertainment, but I have only you.

5. Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I do understand your voice when speaking to me.

6. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it.

7. Before you hit me, before you strike me, remember that I could hurt you, and yet, I choose not to bite you.

8. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food, I have been in the sun too long, or my heart might be getting old or weak.

9. Please take care of me when I grow old. You too, will grow old.

10. On the ultimate difficult journey, go with me please.
Never say you can't bear to watch. Don't make me face this alone. Everything is easier for me if you are there, because I love you so.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-04-2011, 05:17 PM
So true and very touching Gnasher - 9 and 10 particularly struck me as being so important. Even if it is difficult for us, I believe we must see things through to the inevitable conclusion and be with our dogs at the end.
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 12:11 PM
Love it !!! so true x
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 12:43 PM
It was sent to me by a non-doggy friend at work, surprisingly. I thought it particularly touching, especially number 10, which is possibly the hardest of the Commandments to follow. Some people - particularly men I think - find it terribly hard to be there at the end, but I am sure it must help both parties in the long run. I wonder if they know they are dying, I think they do, which makes it even more important they are not alone.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by mastines33 View Post
Love it !!! so true x
Love your dog btw in your avatar - gorgeous!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 12:50 PM
Awwww how lovely is that and how very true. No. 4 panged at my heart there, so many dogs are just "kept" as part of the furniture aren't they, such a sad life for them. It's so true, they only have YOU, so give them a piece of you at every opportunity!