View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 01:29 PM

Limpy dog (possible muscle/joint sprain or bruising)...?

Hi guys

My real life Calamity Jane, a.k.a Bo, came up lame on her front left leg/paw on Friday when I was walking her. I'm not sure exactly what she did, but she stopped and held her paw up, hobbled a bit and then carried on running. After we got back home, she started hobbling again. I've manipulated the leg and foot throughly and there is no obvious sore spots and she didn't flinch. At times she is holding it up above the ground, but she is also at times appears to be fully weight bearing.

I rested her all day Saturday (no walks) and most of yesterday. Yesterday evening after work I decided to take her for a short walk...she hobbled a bit, then appeared to be fully weight bearing. I let her off for a very short while and she was running on it without apparent discomfort. Yet today around the house she has been hobbling and lifting her leg up again? I have just lead walked her today and although hobbling at times, she was fully weight bearing at others.

I'm not sure whether it is a good idea to try resting her again (not easy with a dog that won't sit still) or whether to take her for gentle walks until it goes away. I'm guessing it is nothing serious else she wouldn't be able to bear weight or run on it. Would Metacam help? I would personally like to avoid the vets, because I know all they will do is tell me to rest her for a few days (already done) and I'll have to pay £100 for the privilege.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-04-2011, 01:39 PM
Metacam may help, but if you mask the pain she may do more damage depending on what she has done.
I would be worried she has been off and on it for more than a day. Maybe try to keep her as calm and rested as possible, no off lead play for a few more days and see how she goes.
Try keep note of how often the hobbling around happens and lasts for, this might help you judge for yourself if she is getting better, worse or is the same.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 01:45 PM
When this has occasionally happened with Wilma, I don't bother with the vets now either, as the first thing they say is rest, short lead walks only, metacam sometimes & come back in a week if it's no better. Both times she's better within a few days. Of course I check for thorns, cuts, visible injuries, hot spots or reaction to pain when manipulated, exactly as you've done. As she's very active chasing a ball or rabbits, I've put it down to a strain, a pulled muscle etc. I've often had joint or muscle pain myself & there's no way I go to the doctor every time!

IMO provided that Bo is ok in every other aspect, i.e. her normal self, eating normally etc, then I'd definitely give it another few days of rest & short walks before going to the vets. I don't usually go down the pain relief route though, as I would be afraid of the pain relief masking symptoms getting worse. Only after a vet visit & if the dog was clearly in pain would I give pain relief.

Hope Bo makes a speedy recovery.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by SarahJade View Post
Metacam may help, but if you mask the pain she may do more damage depending on what she has done.
I would be worried she has been off and on it for more than a day. Maybe try to keep her as calm and rested as possible, no off lead play for a few more days and see how she goes.
Try keep note of how often the hobbling around happens and lasts for, this might help you judge for yourself if she is getting better, worse or is the same.
Your are probably right re: the Metacam. Thanks.

Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
When this has occasionally happened with Wilma, I don't bother with the vets now either, as the first thing they say is rest, short lead walks only, metacam sometimes & come back in a week if it's no better. Both times she's better within a few days. Of course I check for thorns, cuts, visible injuries, hot spots or reaction to pain when manipulated, exactly as you've done. As she's very active chasing a ball or rabbits, I've put it down to a strain, a pulled muscle etc. I've often had joint or muscle pain myself & there's no way I go to the doctor every time!

IMO provided that Bo is ok in every other aspect, i.e. her normal self, eating normally etc, then I'd definitely give it another few days of rest & short walks before going to the vets. I don't usually go down the pain relief route though, as I would be afraid of the pain relief masking symptoms getting worse. Only after a vet visit & if the dog was clearly in pain would I give pain relief.

Hope Bo makes a speedy recovery.
She is fine in herself.

Bo is lunatic, always running and throwing herself around which worries me greatly...I've had many a 'heart in the mouth' moments when she attempts some of her athletic (or should that be stupid?) feats.

Thanks.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 02:14 PM
I thought the standard advice is three days rest so a vet would probably say a day and a half isn't long enough.

It does sound like a strained muscle but, of course, could be a hidden thorn, piece of glass etc, or even the first signs of something a little more serious.

Personally, I'd rest her again for a longer period, then short lead walks for a couple of days following that. If the limp hasn't gone, then off to the vets. (my vet would charge approx £18 for the examination with any meds extra. Can't get Metacam without prescription so if it's old stuff you are using, check the use-by date on the packaging if you decide to give it)
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 02:31 PM
My only concern is that it may be first signs of arthritis but hopefully just a strain. If the limping continued for another week or so then I would definitely visit vet or perhaps get some seraquin or something similar.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 03:28 PM
my boy pulled/sprained something in his shoulder jumping a stile and came down really steep. it took 3 months for him to come right. He had rest for a week - no improvement metacam for a week and more rest - no improvement after the metacam stopped another week of rest back to teh vet for both shoulders and elbow xrays - all clear vet said soft tissue and more rest.

No off lead (even when you think they are better) for a week or so after the limp has been gone and then no chasing!

Definitely no stairs whatsoever (in hindsight this was why it took my boy so long to mend- he had free run of the house during the day and sleeps upstairs). Tough love for a few weeks and they should be right as rain.

He also had a mctimoney session and the lady found a few other little knots that got ironed out which had occured as a result of him compensating for his achey front shoulder.

hes high voltage too and has subsequently done a similar thing to his opposite shoulder and then more recently pulled the original one again. Only mildly but knowing what i know now he recovered in days not weeks/months!

NB: if it is a hind leg - friends dog had similar symptoms and it was cruciate related so bear that in mind when you decide what action to take