Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BentleyBoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-03-2011, 07:59 PM

2 questions

Hi everyone, I only joined today so I hope I am posting things in the right place! I've got two questions I could do with some help with please. I'd really appriciate the advice of some dog experts.

Firstly, I'm 19 and at the beginning of the year me and my Bentley boy moved into our own little flat, just me and him, and it's perfect This is what leads me to my first question though.

Bentley comes to work with me, but for the next 5 weeks he can't. We are having building work done at work so I've got to leave Bentley at home and this is what I'm worried about because I know dogs shouldn't really be left I will walk him for 30 minutes before I leave at 7.45am, and call home to him for 10/15 minutes at 1pm in my lunchbreak and then I will be home again at 4.20 ish pm. He will have another 1hr walk in the evening, and then be with me all evening/night. this ok? I'm really worried about it to be honest. It's only for 5 weeks and then he can start coming to work with me again but I'm worried that he is going to be left too long, what do you think?

Secondly, I need some help with his diet if that is ok. I like to keep Bentley slim (I hate seeing fat dogs ) but when at the vets recently to get him wormed the vet said dogs are better with a bit of meat on their bones because then they have reserves if they get ill. Please don't get me wrong Bentley isnt underweight but now I'm concerned and wonder if I should chub him up a little bit. He has 1/2 cup of dry food in the morning and 1/2 dry food with a little bit of dog meat in the evenings and I always thought this was ok?? He also said I should have him on hills food because it's the best for dogs, I brought a bag but Bentley won't touch it

Thank u everyone for your help in advance, and sorry if I sound a bit daft I just want to do right by Bentley
BentleyBoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-03-2011, 08:49 PM
anybody???? please?
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2011, 08:49 PM
Hi

Welcome to the forum

I think Bentley will be fine for the five weeks as you are giving him exercise and looking in on him at lunchtime so I shouldn't worry.

He will obviously fret because he is so used to being with you at work, and he may cry which could annoy neighbours?

What sort of dog is he - not sure on the feeding until know the breed and then someone who has a similar breed could perhaps give some advice. How much does he weigh?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2011, 08:54 PM
hi and welcome

ok, its not dogs shouldnt be left at all,just not long extended periods,all dogs have to learn how to be alone and some take to it better than others.
obviously your situation is not ideal but cannot be helped.
you need to start teaching him how to now so its not all of a sudden.
could you get a dog walker for lunch rather than just 10 mins of you?
re the weight..i prefer fit slim dogs too,you should always go by feel and body condition,you should be able to feel your dogs ribs and spine without 'poking' to much and coat condition is always a good clue on how healthy too.
what food do you feed? does he look good on it? are his poo's ok? if yes,dont see why you should change his food to line the vets pocket
BentleyBoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-03-2011, 08:55 PM
Hi thank you for your reply,

I'm glad you think it is ok. There is just my flat and the one downstairs in the block and I have spoken to the couple who live downstairs and explained and said he may whinge a bit for the first few days and apologised in advance and they have said its ok because they are out most of the day anyway, so hopefully no problem there.

He is a westie and weighs 7kg, runt of his litter so a little titch
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-03-2011, 08:58 PM
All vets prescribe Hills. It's the law.

Seriously, if you give a bit of info, age, breed etc., I'm sure loads of people here can help you.

As to leaving him, I can't see any harm that could come to him as long as he us used to being left. 6 hours is much the same as two when you are asleep
BentleyBoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-03-2011, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
hi and welcome

ok, its not dogs shouldnt be left at all,just not long extended periods,all dogs have to learn how to be alone and some take to it better than others.
obviously your situation is not ideal but cannot be helped.
you need to start teaching him how to now so its not all of a sudden.
could you get a dog walker for lunch rather than just 10 mins of you?
re the weight..i prefer fit slim dogs too,you should always go by feel and body condition,you should be able to feel your dogs ribs and spine without 'poking' to much and coat condition is always a good clue on how healthy too.
what food do you feed? does he look good on it? are his poo's ok? if yes,dont see why you should change his food to line the vets pocket
Hi sorry only saw your post after i typed my last reply.

Unfortunately he wouldnt go with a dog walker, he will only go for a walk with me. I know I shouldnt have got him this attached to me but its how he is. Also he can be unreliable around other dogs so I could only trust myself to walk him I am afraid.

I can feel his spine and ribs with gentle pressure. His toilet waste is fine and I think he looks great. I feed him james Wellbeloved biscuits with 1/2 pouch dog meat in evenings too.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2011, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by BentleyBoo View Post
Hi sorry only saw your post after i typed my last reply.

Unfortunately he wouldnt go with a dog walker, he will only go for a walk with me. I know I shouldnt have got him this attached to me but its how he is. Also he can be unreliable around other dogs so I could only trust myself to walk him I am afraid.

I can feel his spine and ribs with gentle pressure. His toilet waste is fine and I think he looks great. I feed him james Wellbeloved biscuits with 1/2 pouch dog meat in evenings too.
this will be what u need to work on,so the wrench isnt so painful for him,start now distancing yourself slightly from him...does he follow u around?
id stick with the food you are on as it doesnt sound like there is a reason to change it..and doesnt sound like he needs to gain any weight either
BentleyBoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-03-2011, 09:08 PM
Sorry I didnt make that clear. He is fine to be left in the house, and I can take him places and leave him there (ie, take him to my parents and leave him with them no problem) but if he is in the house, with or without me, he wouldn't go with someone trying to take him out. i dont personally consider it a bad thing but maybe I am wrong

He doesn't follow me around, well, we only live in a studio flat anyway! so not much room to follow me around but if at work I need to pop to the loo or make a drink, I tell him to stay under my desk and he does, he wont try to follow me or cry.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2011, 09:10 PM
i wouldnt worry then
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >