Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-03-2011, 07:04 PM

How often do you bath your dog?

Following on from another thread which touched on this, it got me wondering.

Mine are not bathed, except in extreme circumstances.

Jake doesn't like it, but Simon simply freaks. Although he loves water, he has a phobia also about hosepipes, so I hate to think what was done to him in the past. (He was a 2 year old rescue when I got him)

If they have rolled in something amazingly awful, I take Simon outside and sponge it off with soapy water. I put Jake in the bath, (empty) and use the shower attachment and soap on the offending area.

They both love nothing better than running round muddy fields. When they are dry, it just brushes out. Every so often I take them to the river which is lovely and clean, fresh from the fells! They come out with their white bits sparkling, and their black bits glossy

So, no arguments on what is "right", just wondered what you all do?
kirsty1978
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-03-2011, 07:11 PM
i put all 3 of mine in the bath at once, they dont mind it they all just sit there, i always do them before winter comes and then again when the weather gets warmer, and if any of them roll in something
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 07:29 PM
I never bath mine either. They are groomed regularly, smell lovely and have gorgeous coats. Luckily mine don't roll in stuff but when I had a red setter who would smell fox poo from miles away and love rolling in it I did the same as you. I am not a great believer in frequent bathing of dogs.
cravencraven
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-03-2011, 07:29 PM
I have never bathed any of my dogs,if Craven is just mucky then he's dries off in the garden and I brush the muck out.
If he is smelly then I will do the same as you,wash him in soapy water in the garden.

I couldn't get him in the bath even if I wanted to as he's too big for me to lift.
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 07:35 PM
We have a wet room so it makes things easy But no I dont shower my dogs unless they have rolled in fox or badger as I really cant live with that smell so in they go. If they are just muddy thats fine it drys and brushes off, and besides I love the smell of my dogs
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 07:37 PM
I tend to take mine to some clean water if they have lots of mud or grime I want rinsing off. They do get a bath maybe once or twice a year. Flynn has skin problems so I bathe him with special shampoo and Jed loves to roll in sloppy dog poo or fox poo and I cant ignore that so he gets bathed if I cant patch wash.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 07:57 PM
Tilly gets bathed at the groomers when she gets clipped, normally every 3 months. She also gets bathed if she rolls in poo, which seems to be all the time.

My other two don't get routinely bathed. However, they will get one if they cover themselves in dead animal/poo/other disgusting substance if I can't spot clean it off them.
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 08:03 PM
Well I am probably in the minority but my dogs get bathed at least once a month, if not more.

At the minute Ludi gets frequently bathed as he often wee's on his own front legs
Kilos'-'Serenity
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-03-2011, 08:27 PM
I bath my two as and when needed, normally if they roll in something or when their coat gets that greasy feeling that rubs off on your hands, so theres no set schedule although when I was still living at my parents my Dad insisted they were bathed fortnightly as he hated the 'doggy' smell round the house.
He has one of them super noses where he can still smell the doggy smell when all I can smell is shampoo

Kilo will sulk but will jump in the bath when asked and will stand for me, turn around when asked and also put his nose down when asked. Asha is more difficult, she's never really gotten used to it but she doesn't jump out unless I wet her head, so I just use wipes on her head and face. They come out sparkly white instead of having that yellow tint they eventually end up with between baths.

Question for those that don't bath apart from in extreme smelly circumstances. What about that greasiness???
Or is there something I'm not doing that prevents that?
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-03-2011, 08:36 PM
I don't get greasy. I don't any smell from Jake ever (apart from the obvious rolling thing). Simon can sometimes smell of dog, but that is because he also hates brushing, and it is a bit of a battle to remove all the dead hair.

What breed of dog do you have?
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »