Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 07:36 AM

Not losing weight?

So about 3 weeks ago I decided I really want to get into shape and lose a few stone haha.
Monday> Friday I have been doing either... an exercise DVD in the morning which always gets me all out of breath/heart rate up and sweaty (sorry ), or walking about 2 miles, and then in the afternoon I walk the dog - about an hours walk.
Sat and Sun we always go for longer walks with the dog so I don't do a dvd/walk the extra bit.
I have been eating soo much better, hardly eating bread now at all (sandwiches was a big thing for me! ). But I don't seem to be losing much weight!!!

Lost 3lb the 1st week, 1lb 2nd week, and nothing this week.

Mum said yesterday she thinks I have lost weight (from looking at me).

Could it be that it is just taking its time and if I do carry on then the weight will start to come off?

It is quite dis-heartening to be putting in so much effort in all ways I can, and not having any results!!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 07:57 AM
Don't get disheartened and give up, its sounds like you are making a really good start

As long as you are not fooling yourself in what you are eating (e.g. forgetting about any little treats between meals etc), then you will lose the weight.

The most successful diet I've been on I didn't weigh myself at all during it because like you, I found I previously that I got really disheartened when I didn't seem to be making progress.

I still don't know how much weight I lost (possibly about 2 stone) but I did drop two dress sizes.

Don't forget as well, that if you are excercising more, you will be toning up, so you could be losing fat but gaining muscle. Also, they do say that losing it slowly is better for you (i.e. less likely to put it all back on).

(admitedly I've put all mine back on now, but that was over a period of a few years and I just don't have the drive to diet these days!)

Good luck
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 08:12 AM
Thanks

I was thinking about the muscle, but thought it took agess to tone up?

Nope not fooling myself Puting in mega effort with what I am eating - for example... for breakfast I used to have a biiig bowl of something like frosted shreddies lol, but now I have one pack of the belvita breakfast biscuits (210 calories for the whole pack), and a banana. Lunch I am eating crackerwheat instead of bread... etc etc - and I have enough weight that the weight should be falling off
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 08:44 AM
Go by measurements rather than weight You'll probably notice the most difference in the way your clothes fit rather than the figure on the scales. And try to look at the greater scheme - target x pounds per month, not per week, because there will be weeks when you lose and weeks when you don't. Also bear in mind "that time of the month" where your body will be retaining more water weight. Oh, and on the subject of water, make sure you're drinking plenty, especially if you work up a sweat when exercising, if you don't drink enough then your body will retain water which can trick the scales.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by kammi_sparky123 View Post
Thanks

I was thinking about the muscle, but thought it took agess to tone up?

Nope not fooling myself Puting in mega effort with what I am eating - for example... for breakfast I used to have a biiig bowl of something like frosted shreddies lol, but now I have one pack of the belvita breakfast biscuits (210 calories for the whole pack), and a banana. Lunch I am eating crackerwheat instead of bread... etc etc - and I have enough weight that the weight should be falling off
I would stop weighing yourself.

Don't make it about weight, make it about how you feel.
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 09:33 AM
Ahh okay - thanks guys
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 10:40 AM
One thing I have noticed is that I get pains in my feet/ankles/calves when exercising.

If I am walking the dog for hours up hills/round reservoirs/on beaches etc etc there is no pain.... it is only pavement walking (after like 10 mins...) and when jumping around with a dvd
It is a bit odd - any idea why this is? It is weird that it is on pavement and not when "off road" lol. Only thing I can think of is that I walk faster on pavement?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 10:44 AM
I think the hardness of pavement can put a lot more stress on your joints, this is why dogs with joint issues are recommended to not have lots of road walks but rather to walk on soft areas like grass. May be worth getting some properly fitted shoes too, to give your ankles better support.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by kammi_sparky123 View Post
One thing I have noticed is that I get pains in my feet/ankles/calves when exercising.

If I am walking the dog for hours up hills/round reservoirs/on beaches etc etc there is no pain.... it is only pavement walking (after like 10 mins...) and when jumping around with a dvd
It is a bit odd - any idea why this is? It is weird that it is on pavement and not when "off road" lol. Only thing I can think of is that I walk faster on pavement?
If it is a shooting pain up your leg from your ankle towards your knee, it could be shin splints. its usually due to heavy impact on hard surfaces. I had this trouble for a few months when I was at my heaviest and exercising in cheap trainers.

A good shock absorbing pair of trainers should help.
Daxi Delight
New Member!
Female 

16-03-2011, 01:57 PM
Firstly well done for making the changes you have. I struggle with losing weight so you have my sympathy. One suggestion - try looking at the sugar content of what you are eating too not just the calories.

I find I lose weight quicker when I watch my sugar intake as well - its quite amazing how much sugar there is in some biscuits and cereal. My mum had a blood test recently and came up with high blood sugar, when she told the nurse that she ate Special K the nurse told her that was the cause!

One of the other culprits in my diet was the low fat yoghurts - some are just full of sugar instead! Hope this doesn't make you feel as if there is nothing nice left to eat, but you may just find it helps.

Good luck!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >