Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 07:03 PM

Dogs barking all night

My friends husband has been round to have a 'quiet word' with a neighbour who's dogs have been barking all night for some time, they couldn't stand it any longer. The owners reply was "oh i'm sorry they've been keeping us awake all night too" How on earth could anyone let their dogs bark all night(or day, folk work nights etc.), just ignore n not do anything about it Why are they not concerned with the dogs doing this n reasons also? A lot of folk might not have been so considerate n either just keep putting up with it or reported them to the council, anyone else had/have same situation n whatever action taken(if any) had sucessful result in solving things? Can't understand it
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 07:19 PM
Dunno but I live in fear of our guy having a barky fit - we have a father and son duo next door - one does taxis on nights, the other does taxis on days so there's pretty much always someone asleep on the other side of the wall.

Thankfully they're tolerant about things like DIY and stuff (just ask us to start a little later than people might do otherwise) and the dog musters a few woofs at the postman (and anyone outside trying to nick our parking spot- mwuahahaha), but gawd a full-blown bark merchant would be a nightmare.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 07:48 PM
Oh, I can sympathise with your friends. The man who lives next door used to have terriers (think they left with his wife). They used to bark constantly as there was often no-one home. He worked nights and would come back and let them out at 5 am and they would bark and bark and he would not stop them or call them in, even at 5 am

My neighbours on the other side, he works nights too so I am concious about Max barking but I think they accept the odd bark at the postman and leaflet deliverers etc.

I wonder why the poor dogs are barking constantly, makes you wonder if there is something wrong with them

Night noise is sooo infuriating. My night working neighbour (without the dog) sets his alarm for about 2 pm. One night it went off at 2am as he had obviously set it wrong. It was one of those that gets louder. We lay there thinking 'why aren't they turning it off, how can they sleep through that'. After a few maddening minutes I looked out of the window and realised there were no cars there. The alarm went off for about half an hour. We actually ended up carrying our mattress downstairs in the middle of the night it was that loud They had gone for a weeks holiday and we had to sleep downstairs for the whole time because that damn alarm went off every night at 2 am for half an hour. It was so quiet in the house and the alarm was so loud that we could still hear it downstairs
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 07:57 PM
On the subject of neighbourhood noise - tonight I was wondering why, with all the scientific knowledge we have in the world, we cannot make an ice cream van that plays "oh sole mio" actually anywhere near resembling in-tune.

This was after the first week of "summer" being marked by the 4.10pm murdering the Cornetto tune every single night last week.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 08:04 PM
You can't beat the ice cream van! If the window is open and it goes past our house Max will throw his head back and howl away to it, it's so funny!
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 08:19 PM
Layton's not discovered the wonders of the ice-cream van yet... pancakes were a new and interesting experience to him the other day - flying food! He proceeded to lie down with his jaws open in anticipation.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 08:19 PM
There used to be a Doberman in the next street that howled at the ice cream van.
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-03-2011, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
Oh, I can sympathise with your friends. The man who lives next door used to have terriers (think they left with his wife). They used to bark constantly as there was often no-one home. He worked nights and would come back and let them out at 5 am and they would bark and bark and he would not stop them or call them in, even at 5 am

My neighbours on the other side, he works nights too so I am concious about Max barking but I think they accept the odd bark at the postman and leaflet deliverers etc.

I wonder why the poor dogs are barking constantly, makes you wonder if there is something wrong with them

Night noise is sooo infuriating. My night working neighbour (without the dog) sets his alarm for about 2 pm. One night it went off at 2am as he had obviously set it wrong. It was one of those that gets louder. We lay there thinking 'why aren't they turning it off, how can they sleep through that'. After a few maddening minutes I looked out of the window and realised there were no cars there. The alarm went off for about half an hour. We actually ended up carrying our mattress downstairs in the middle of the night it was that loud They had gone for a weeks holiday and we had to sleep downstairs for the whole time because that damn alarm went off every night at 2 am for half an hour. It was so quiet in the house and the alarm was so loud that we could still hear it downstairs
Sorry, that made me laugh

When we got Jake I was very aware we have neighbours both sides. He barked for EVERYTHING he wanted, so I taught him to give me a paw. The only bark allowed was if he needed a wee (we'd had a few accidents, and I didn't want him waving a paw in the air at 3.00am if he needed to wake me up!

We are still working on the postman and visitors, but other than that, things are pretty quiet.

We did have an awful neighbour for a year or so, she had Two weimaraners (sp) and she left them alone all day. They barked like mad the whole time.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Seems like it's problem for a lot of people, i posted thread before reading Bitkin's about the Husky's (only saw it earlier). I felt really bad when discovered the noise my dog was making when first got her, had asked next door to tell me but they didn't want to upset me. As soon as found out it was quickly sorted, like you guys have done, which is what you'd think anyone would do in the best interests of the dog/s and other people.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 04:23 PM
I reported a neighbour who used to leave her spaniel out all day when I was on night shift and trying to sleep, I had a word with her, offering her some potential solutions, she was not receptive so I reported her to the EHO.

4 weeks later the problem disappeared.

Result.

A person cannot alter their behaviour unless they are informed that they are doing it, that it is causing a problem as without knowledge they cannot act.

If they choose not to act once they have knowledge, then they must take the consequences.

I don't moan, I act.

But then £5k fine for noise pollution is a great incentive don't you think?!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >