Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 07:14 PM

What is a positive aversive?

I finally received my "Stop, how to control predatory instincts in dogs" this morning, I'm only on chapter 4 as I read it in between baking, but I skimmed through when I first got it through the post and I found a sentence and don't quote me word for word on it, something about making chasing (the behaviour I want to stop Louie from doing) aversive but without actually making it an aversive, just to stop the dog from making the chase behaviour with the rewarding behaviour it is for them. From my understanding of the book - you cannot expect a high prey dog to give up what is so rewarding to him (the chase) for a biscuit.. so you have to make the chase not rewarding.

So - and I have left the book at my house and I am visiting the OH's parents for a few days - what is a positive aversive? Is there such a thing?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 07:34 PM

you lost me somewhere around the end of your first sentence.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post

you lost me somewhere around the end of your first sentence.
I know it is a very odd sentence to read, it baffled me but I have to read the rest of the book first.

Wys has read the book - I believe, maybe she could help? Or other trainers?

Unless I have read the book wrong... It wouldn't surprise me

Ok so to make the first sentence less long and horrible to read - How do you make the chase behaviour in a dog less rewarding?

That's easier right?
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-03-2011, 07:37 PM
I'm presuming it means you have to make something MORE rewarding than the chase? Don't punish them when they chase, just offer a more highly prized alternative.

Easier said than done IME, but not impossible
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
I'm presuming it means you have to make something MORE rewarding than the chase? Don't punish them when they chase, just offer a more highly prized alternative.

Easier said than done IME, but not impossible
Yes but what would you use, according to the bloke (I forgot his name ) a dog is less likely to return for a biscuit/toy as a biscuit/toy doesn't give out the same dopamine response that the chase does..

Louie easily ignores me - I ignore him whilst he's chasing the crows in the empty cow/horse fields..and whistle when I know/think/pretty sure all the crows have been chased off..but I don't know what I could do to make the chasing of crows/birds less exciting than whatever I have...
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-03-2011, 08:01 PM
Well, TBH, I never got much help from books. I have a very car absessed BC, and I bought two books when we got him. The only mention of car chasing was "this should be quelled at an early age." Wow, and thanks, I'd gathered that!

What I did was reward him for 2 weeks every time a car went past, no matter what his behaviour. So he started to expect a treat when he saw a car. Then I made the treat conditional on his not responding to the car. He now (98%) looks, then looks at me for his treat.

Hope that helps.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
Well, TBH, I never got much help from books. I have a very car absessed BC, and I bought two books when we got him. The only mention of car chasing was "this should be quelled at an early age." Wow, and thanks, I'd gathered that!

What I did was reward him for 2 weeks every time a car went past, no matter what his behaviour. So he started to expect a treat when he saw a car. Then I made the treat conditional on his not responding to the car. He now (98%) looks, then looks at me for his treat.

Hope that helps.
Oh how I wish that would work - Louie ignores food and toys when there is a bird around - even tripe treats are ignored - yet if I walked up the garden with them in my pocket - I'd get mugged!

I do think it has something to do with the fact his mother was a working springer and I think by the look of him his dad may have been a show lab, but most likely a working lab, so it is very much in him to retrieve I just can't get rid of the damn chase - however it is only birds and cats, he is fine with the rabbits - he just likes to lick their ears but then again I have never let them loose with him, they are either in the run, on the bed or in their hutch (he goes in there too) He didn't try and chase the horse he was offlead and passing - thank god.

But that sounds like a good way of working around that particular problem. If only it would work for Louie.

It was easy with my Collie x - it was a simple "Don't you dare!" in a stern voice and she wouldn't dare try chasing anything.
HiHoSilver
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-03-2011, 08:12 PM
I think the meaning of positive aversive is using positive reinforcement to reward something the dog DOESN'T do ,rather than rewarding something you DO want him to do.Ie he's rewarded for a sit stay,that's something you want him to do and he's rewarded for not chasing a car,which is something you want him not to do.
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-03-2011, 08:30 PM
Don't think there's any such thing as positive Aversive. You can have positive punishment which would employ using aversives. Negative punishment which again would use an aversive, but in such a way that the Aversive is nothing; i.e treat training, the Aversive would be to NOT get the reward. Also the time out method is neg punishment.
Negative reinforcement; again the Aversive is what you want the dog to avoid, therefore the reward is, effectively nothing. Basically the anti-Christ of positive reinforcement lol
and positive reinforcement which im sure you know about lol.
Not sure if i have explained them very well lol

eta my literal take on a positive Aversive might be to train crows to attack your dog on cue Pmsl!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Yes but what would you use, according to the bloke (I forgot his name ) a dog is less likely to return for a biscuit/toy as a biscuit/toy doesn't give out the same dopamine response that the chase does..

um... I don`t find that. Daisy (and Laddie before her) related to their toy in precisely the same way they related to prey. And since the toy was continually used, the prey became less interesting / important. That`s how I interpreted it, anyhow.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >