Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mistygrey
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-02-2011, 09:38 PM

Dogs having friends!

Of course I knew that dogs were smart (our childhood Cocker would be up at the window the moment our car appeared around the corner) but being a first time dog owner, I never knew they had 'friends'! Pippy has a boxer friend who she loves to play and run with - only once every few weeks or so though. Today, she spotted him in the park from a while away and ran straight towards him asking him to play. She is wary of bigger dogs and would never do this with a dog she didn't know so I know that she must recognise him. Aren't they clever old things!
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 09:47 PM
They most certainly do have friends, and are as choosy as us humans as to who's their best mate.

There was one little scruffy black crossbreed, possibly a Bichon cross, named Ronnie who lived in the next street to ours before we moved. Merlin knew him from a puppy and for some reason every time he saw Ronnie he would go into rapture - even wee'd for him once (and that was funny - a large hairy adult dog rolling over in reverence and weeing in front of the small, rather puzzled-looking Ronnie). Ronnie was his God and his guru as far as he was concerned, for some completely mysterious reason and that never changed.
Jessi Clark
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 09:53 PM
Absolutely, Chester met an flattie girl when he was only about 4 months and to this day he goes proper puppy squiggly whenever he see her, Bella always looks completely bemused by him .
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-02-2011, 09:59 PM
yep Jasmine, my little collie doesnt really like other dogs (except our own of course) but there is a staffy called reuben who comes to my classes and has been for a couple of years now and she absolutely adores him, even if he tells her off for jumping on his head, it doesnt bother her, she just "says sorry" and carries on as normal
mistygrey
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-02-2011, 10:06 PM
Aren't they all smart cookies! Pippy is a real flirt and today she kept nuzzling his neck to make him chase her more. Poor boy was tired out!
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 12:06 AM
They are clever aren't they?!! My friend has a lovely greyhound called Speedy and he lost his partner in crime 2 weeks ago and has been very depressed since. So we introduced Guinness to him the other day and his little face and body language was a picture! His face lit up and he loved being with his own kind. Now he gets excited when he sees me because he can't wait to see Guinness again. It's really lovely to see.
CotonMom
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2011, 04:09 AM
My guys have lots of friends, but Daniel's favourite girlfriend is over 100 pounds bigger then he is. As soon as she sees him she crawls over, rolls over, grabs him with her paw and pulls him over to her so he can give her lots of kisses on her ear. It is so cute to see a giant Berner and a tiny Coton goofing around.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 07:03 AM
Mine don't have friends here They are a Billy No Mates Pack
We have alot of Staffies here, and mine will not bother with staffies
I think mine are fussy, although if my son comes over with his 3, Bruce and Dillon(BC) are in love Bruce loves being in Dillon company and they never leave one another on walks
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 07:06 AM
Dogs certainly can be choosy with their friends!

I sometimes meet a lady with her little wire-haired terrier x. He's not very keen on most other dogs but for some reason he absolutely adores my 2 dogs. Whenever we see him, his owner says "there's Barney & Wilma" & he comes racing over & goes into proper wiggly mode, then races round & round us, jumping all over my dogs. They just stand completely bemused till he calms down a bit.

My dogs adore seeing my friends as much as their dogs. They even recognise the sounds of their individual car engines so when they pull up wherever we've arranged to meet, they go flying over to greet them